Aqua Clear issues!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
How often do you normally squeeze out your AC sponges? On mine, I do them during every WWC.

The Crazy Ape

AC Members
Dec 27, 2016
Me also FreshyFresh just part of the maintenance routine.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
So, my new coarser prefilter sponge & unused filter sponges seems to have done the trick. Filter flow slowed but no floor dripping after more than a week, YAY! That's what I need for happy tank keeping. Prefilter took a bit more rinsing than "usual" but I checked it over a white background, all good! I'm hopeful again!

Really? After 35+ years there's more to learn? Yep, I guess so! Sheesh!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Thanks Gavin!. I do try to teach others to not make my same mistakes, even after all these years...you're never to old or too experienced to learn some new tricks!! It's all good!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Good to hear all is well. I'm still at a loss as to why water was dribbling externally from your AC filters. It should not by design. I run 3 different model Aquaclears a 30, two 70s and a 110. I can literally dump a pitcher of water into them and they'll only bypass directly to the tank. Nothing overflows to the floor.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I don't know either Joel. The only time I had an AC "leak" was our very first 1 that wasn't level :oops: (low tank it, hard to tell). It took a few years to try them again, no problems until now, 25? years later. I didn't get out a level to check this 1 but it's clearly tipped toward the tank. Clogged sponges is all I can figure but not the lack of the "bypass" back into the tank. That's why I posted :confused:. As long as it doesn't do it again, I'll continue to use & recommend ACs but I'll also be checking more often!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Are you 100% sure the tank is level?

If you don't have a level handy just use the water level against the trim.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh, yes dougall, the AC is tipped toward the tank! I have several levels (lol, how old do you need to be to have "several", I'm there!). But just for you I'll check tomorrow, even though the trim/water level: to eye is probably the best I've ever had. (newest house ever too, I bet that helps)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store