Aquabid alternatives

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Neptunius

AC Members
Dec 16, 2011
Boston, MA
It seems that Aquabid has been down a lot lately, due to the aftermath of a hacking attempt.
I hope they come back and come back stronger and more secure.
In the meantime what are some good similar alternatives to find fish?

In my case, my mom wants a school of panda corys. None of our LFS seem to have them and I'm not sure where else to look.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I look at the wet spot in Portland, OR. A couple years ago I actually went there & came home with some pretty rare loaches. They have a very good inventory or used to.

Shipping is expensive depending on where you live, take that into account.

Be careful, some searches can lead to malware sites or did a year or so ago....

Neptunius

AC Members
Dec 16, 2011
Boston, MA
I look at the wet spot in Portland, OR. A couple years ago I actually went there & came home with some pretty rare loaches. They have a very good inventory or used to.

Shipping is expensive depending on where you live, take that into account.

Be careful, some searches can lead to malware sites or did a year or so ago....
Thanks! I think the auction I bid on last time had been posted by The Wet Spot. So I guess for now I'll just cut out aquabid as the middleman.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Like I said be careful...very careful.

For fish as "usual" as panda corys ask your LFS if they can order them for you. You can skip the shipping charge most times...& there may be a local breeder not too far from you! Do you have a fish club within an hour or so drive? You might check it out...I love my local club!

Neptunius

AC Members
Dec 16, 2011
Boston, MA
Like I said be careful...very careful.

For fish as "usual" as panda corys ask your LFS if they can order them for you. You can skip the shipping charge most times...& there may be a local breeder not too far from you! Do you have a fish club within an hour or so drive? You might check it out...I love my local club!
I'm not aware of one, though I'm sure there must be one locally. I'll check that out.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
They are pretty good people, I wish I were closer to be able to attend a meeting or 2..

Give them a try, you can maybe also attend something like the NEC convention in a couple of months, there are normally plenty of hobbyist bred corys there too.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
There's also club near Springfield (Pioneer Valley AS?). I used to go to their annual mega-auction sometimes in Chickopee when I lived near Boston. A fun long day road trip. I only went to the Boston club meet once (past my bedtime, lol.). I went to hear a specific speaker & 1 of the authors of a loach book. It seemed like a very nice group, I think it was a potluck. They used to meet at an annex of the NE Aquarium.

I also went to NEC a couple times, good stuff there too.

I can also suggest a couple good LFS...& warn you about another ( info from 8 years ago) by pm if you'd like.

The GingerFishman

AC Members
Feb 13, 2019
Quincy, MA
There is an awesome store just south of Boston called Uncle Ned's Fish Factory. All sorts of rare fish, incredible wild cichlids, plecos, catfish, just an awesome place. Coincidentally I was in there last night and saw a fresh batch of healthy looking Pandas come in. I'm pretty sure they do ship as I think I saw it on their website once. Not sure about costs though. Check them out though! Been going there for several years.

goodluck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store