Aquaclear 70 sudden shutoff?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Apr 2, 2002
New York
Clubs usually welcome non-members to meetings. It is how we get new members. I say we because my club does so. I can also tell you that our club has members who are fairly new to the hobby and have one tank and we also have a few master breeders and everything in between.

Every member in the club was once new to keeping fish and not a club member until they joined. Before Covid, dougal used to travel to our meetings in CT. from PA.

In years past I used occcasionally to go to other club meetings in the area with Leslie from The Northeast Council of Aquarium Societies. I never felt unwelcome not being a member. The NEC is an umbrella organization for clubs in the NE USA and they normally sponsor a weekend event in CT every spring. https://northeastcouncil.org/affiliated-members

Reactions: dudley

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
The only thing I've noticed is that at most clubs nonmembers often can't sell stuff. They are free to bid & buy. Many clubs have a "mega auction" once or twice a year & smaller 1s each meet (pre-covid). Go early for best selection, late for bargains. Beware, I've come home with unplanned critters & other things, but it's fun!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Well, I don't want to just show up. I'm not a member yet.
Lots of clubs let folks attend at least one meeting before requiring you become a member.

Lots, especially ones registered as 501c3 charities do so as an edycational organuzation.. part of which is opening up meeting attendance to be everyone not just members.

BCAS don't require membership at all
Nor do ACLC

NJAS and JSAS both allow attendance for one meeting before requiring membership

GWAPA do not require membership

NJAGC require you to be a member for a month before attending a meeting, or the hosts approval .

SAWGG is members only, and you need to be introduced to the club by an existing member

I want to say BCAS allows anyone to bid in all monthly auctions (they haven't happened since March last year, I haven't been to one since fall 2019) their annual auctions have had nothing differentiating members and none)

I can try to get more info . But I'll bets are off till in person meetings resume, and no idea when that will be.

Next meeting (maybe next week) should be streamed via YouTube, anyone can watch... Oy members privilige us there's a drawing each month for some aquarium related stuff

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Sometimes Zoom or youtube meets can be fun too if they don't actually meet these days. dougall has hooked me up to a few as have my local clubs. It depends on the topics & your interest but can help you get a "feel" for different groups before you even go to a meet.

To me attending is more interesting & fun, but I'm not too shy either. You can always ask someone have you kept this fish or that plant? How did you do it? Do you have pics of your tank? Chances are they'll love to tell you or compare experiences...kinda like AC only in person, lol.

I strongly suggest checking them out & plan to go when we all can again. I've never had a bad experience at any club & some really good 1s. My only objection is to night meets far from home that go past my early bedtime. I've often left after the talk during the "intermission" break if there's nothing too interesting for the auction. I'm lame, I know...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store