AquaClear owners, wanna talk media/maintenance?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Which media combo is better?

• 2 sponges w/or without biomax

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • 1 sponge and 2 bags of biomax

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • The default: 1 sponge, 1 bag of carbon, 1 bag of biomax

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • I'm not sure, but this is what I use........

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cohazard

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Visit site
Hey fellow AC owners. I have 2 110's, and I've asked about what your preference is for media and most people keep two sponges in their AquaClears.

A lot of people detest the biomax stuff, calling it junk, but I honestly don't see why. It's just like the bioballs in a wet/dry filter, only they're more porous which equals more surface area for nitrifying bacteria to grow on.

Currently I have 1 sponge and a bag of biomax in each of my 110's. I've been thinking about either adding another sponge to the mix, or another bag of biomax.

Which do you think would be a better combo, and be honest. I know the more experienced aquarists can be a little jaded, but try to see past the marketing ploy behind the biomax and think of it's true usefulness, before you answer.

Basically I'm asking because I want to maximize the biological efficiency of my filters. I get the feeling I'm killing a ton of good bacteria when I rinse the sponges, since I clean them under tap water.

El Barto

gotta trunk fulla junk
Jul 8, 2005
quebec in canada
here's what i do. i got filter floss on the bottom , a sponge on top and the ceramic rings on top. once month i put in some carbon to remove tanins from the driftwood . this is working great for me so far.

cohazard

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Visit site
El Barto said:
here's what i do. i got filter floss on the bottom , a sponge on top and the ceramic rings on top. once month i put in some carbon to remove tanins from the driftwood . this is working great for me so far.
Does your sponge become a poop brick? or does most of it get trapped by the floss?

Kasakato said:
2 sponges with BioMax.
Any reason in particular why you use that combo?

El Barto

gotta trunk fulla junk
Jul 8, 2005
quebec in canada
same here

SCU33ZE

Toilet Power
Mar 23, 2005
South Miami
I have 2 AC minis on my 12g
One crammed with 1'' bioballs
and the other one has two sponges.
Works greeat and the bioballs dont clog in a looong time

cohazard

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Visit site
SCU33ZE said:
I have 2 AC minis on my 12g
One crammed with 1'' bioballs
and the other one has two sponges.
Works greeat and the bioballs dont clog in a looong time

That sounds like a good idea. I plan on buying two more large AC filters, so I could use 2 of them for heavy duty mechanical/chemical filtration, and the other two for optimal biological filtration (maximum flow through the ceramic rings, by eliminating the sponge).

I guess it's something I'll have to experiment with, but I get the feeling that ultimately, all the combos equal out when maintained properly.

-max-

AC Members
Jul 22, 2005
Houston,Tx/Ruston, La
Geez, I like ACs, but the pastic is too britle. One of the sides of my 500 has a peice broke off of it so I can't really use it anymore. :( I've always put a sponge or two in it. It's just great for bio filtration and circulation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store