aquaclear stopped working after unplug...am i missing something?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

paks

Registered Member
Oct 27, 2003
Visit site
This happened before and I returned it to the store, thinking it broken...but maybe I'm missing something.

Aquaclear mini 20. Working fine.

I unplugged it, took some water out of the tank, moved the tank, put the water back in, then plugged in the filter again...and nothing happens. No sound, no water movement...like it's dead. I've searched a bit and haven't seen anything about them dying like this, and since it happened twice I thought maybe there's something I'm doing wrong here.

Any ideas? Thanks!

paks

Registered Member
Oct 27, 2003
Visit site
ok, i got it working again. there was a post on Tom's Place about it and they said to just use a chopstick to touch the fan and make it start going again. And to clean it out better on a regular basis.

Cheers!

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
Get used to the chopsticks routine. My Aquaclears are terribly difficult to restart, no matter how much I clean them impeller and impeller well. Not a bad filter otherwise, but annoying...

Jim

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Also, watch out for small snails getting in there.... They will stop an impeller.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I have 1 AC mini that does fine and always restarts no matter what. Then my parents have an AC200 that always fails to restart without a little help. And my mini is close to 10 years old. At least in the end it is a fairly simple fiix.

somefinnfishy

AC Members
May 12, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
www.freewebs.com
mini thru 300 ac,s use the same under powered motor:mad:
My last ac died yesterday jumping for joy can now use chopsticks for eating not farting with my filters.

Captain Hook

Looking for ideas
Aug 21, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I'm surprised to hear you guys have so many problems getting the ACs to start. I have a few over the years, 2 minis and now a 200 and haven't had a problem. The only thing that is annoying is when I plug it back in there has been a decent amount of water in the motor and filter otherwise it won't restart.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I currently have 16 ACs running, from mini to 300. I used to clean them all the time and never had problems. however as my maint. routine got longer I looked to cut down and now only clean them when they need it. How do I know when they need it/

We usually have several power outtages/year. Some last only a few seconds or minutes, others as much as a few hours. The filters that dont restart when power returns get pulled and have the motor well and the impellor cleaned with a brush.

If you want to minimize restart problems simply clean the impellor and well monthly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store