Aquarium Cycle

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Phil

AC Members
Jan 20, 2003
Visit site
I am new at aquariums and have got this stuff called "cycle". The directions say that it should be used weekly but someone told me it's only neccessary to use it to start a bilogical filter. Can someone enlighten me?

Bantam

AC Members
Aug 9, 2002
Lancaster, UK
Visit site
basically it gives a 'top up' to the beneficial bacteria you have in your filter etc. strictly speaking in and established tank you wouldn't need it because the correct amount of bacteria are present.

however, i tend to use it everytime i clean the filter foam to help replace any bacteria lost in the process and also every now and then when i do a water change 'for luck'.

with a bit of experience you'll soon know by 'gut instinct' whats right for your particular tank.

good luck

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
I don't touch it. I'm not convinced it actually does anything.

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
Oh, it does something all right...

It separates you from your money...

The tank cycle won't be sped up by adding any bacteria-in-a-bottle. The only thing you need is patience. (And a little household ammonia to start a fishless cycle...)

I will be the first to admit that the idea of bacterial elixirs in a bottle is a good one, in theory... However, I have never seen results from using them.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
Just to add another vote in opposition to Cycle...

The stuff is worthless, junk and doesn't do ANYTHING beneficial for your aquarium, in my opinion. Healthy aquariums can be started and maintained without Cycle. Don't waste your money.

Jim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store