"Aquarium Driftwood" - Online Plant Retailer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hforney

AC Members
Nov 24, 2004
Ok Chris and Tom, You have me convinced that there is no way to get around not using CO2. I get a tank of CO2 and what else? It seemed like everything I read was to provide plenty of light. Now I am beginning to understand that is not the solution. I will go with the 2 x 65 compact flourescent and a CO2 setup. With the CO2 I see regulators, reactors, bubble counters, etc. Is there a kit that I can buy where all I have to add is a tank of CO2? I tell you I am getting some great education on this forum. What did people do before the net?

Thanks to both of you guys for your input!

Captain Hook

Looking for ideas
Aug 21, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
plantbrain said:
CO2, aquaticeco has a nice little Azoo regulator/solenoid/needle valve for 69$, check the local Fire extingusher supply places or beverage places for CO2 tanks/refills. I got a 20lb tank for 50$ filled.

I have a super DIY internal 2$ CO2 reactor that takes 10 minutes to make that will really make any CO2 dissolving very easy and controllable.
Works better than anyone else's and cost far less and still looks good.
Tom already recommended a regulator/solenoid/needle valve combo. Not familiar with the company selling them but I'm sure this will work well. A solenoid lets the CO2 be hooked up to a timer to it comes on with the lights in the morning and goes off with the lights at night. I'm not using a solenoid on my setup.

Needle valve is essential, it reduces CO2 flow to a reasonable level for the tank. Fine tuning your CO2 levels is done on the needle valve.

The only other thing you will need after buying that combo is a tank and a way to dissolve the CO2 in the water. I'm using the hagen ladder with excellent results in my 72. Others build different types like Tom mentioned above. (search for reactor or diffuser)

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=19239;category_id=2873;pcid1=3349;pcid2=

hforney

AC Members
Nov 24, 2004
CO2 Stuff

Chris, The CO2 stuff is finally starting to sink in my brain. I have to order the CO2 pressure regulator with attached solenoid valve. I will also have to get a diffuser to place in the tank. The CO2 tank filled with CO2 I will purchase locally. The solenoid is so the CO2 is only injected when the lights are on because that is the only time the plants are eating there nutrients. I was a little slow understanding this at first but I think I have the picture now. This setup seemed difficult at first but the pieces are coming together now.

Thanks so much to everyone for their help!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store