Aquarium needing reseal?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I guess I'm just cheap, lol. $5 or so for silicone, $2 or 3 for tape?, maybe razor blades vs even $60 for a new tank...so ~$10 vs 60+? Plus there's that learning a new skill thing. I can caulk with the best of them (well, almost the best). I've caulked several tub surrounds, etc.

I'm always surprised you've never done it Joel. Have you done other caulking projects? Tub? Sink? I know you're not of the helpless generation...but not of mine either...

Sartorial, I've had several quite old tanks. I've never had the silicone holding the panes together fail even on an old DIY rimless using very thick glass. That would be too big & difficult for me. But all! the corners, not that hard...but you do have to do the entire tank except for the rim attachment at the extreme top (your water level should never be quite that high, almost though). You can't just spot caulk or caulk 1 seam (that kinda looks like what happened to your tank) Does it even hold water?

Here's a thread but not my most detailed Resealing a tank | AquariaCentral.com . There others from other AC folks & me too. Including how to practice on a cardboard box. Search around AC. Ask if you want help/clarification.

I would say you should try caulking just for the experience, if nothing else. You can always sell or give the tank away. Did it come with a stand &/or other equipment? It's not always the tank but the other stuff that can add up...But DO NOT trust an old heater. They may be the weakest piece of equipment in our hobby. Even new... all kinds are iffy! & there's a different topic...Sorry...

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'm always surprised you've never done it Joel. Have you done other caulking projects? Tub? Sink? I know you're not of the helpless generation...but not of mine either...
Oh gosh yes. Tubs, sinks, counter tops, miles and miles of painter's calk covering up various goofs and whatnot.. Plus automotive silicone sealers.. Dreadfully.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
HaHa, I knew you probably did. I've never done automotive caulking in any way (eek!) but I'm not surprised you have. You are a man of many skills!! Me too in a different (female) way. Practice makes perfect!

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I do not reseal and have never wanted to try. My very first tank, a 45, finally leaked and the garbage got it. I have lost a 20L the same way and I replaced a leaking 75. I do not reseal tanks for a number of reasons.

1. My time has value and I am not going to spend it on resealing a tank.
2. The people making tanks have been doing it for years. They know how to do it right. Yet some tanks still leak. I am no pro and I am not going to be the one to seal a tank and believe it is going to hold.
3. I have a pair of 6 foot tanks that I got used and I know were very old. I mean well over 20 years. They have the AllGlass 3D label glued on them. I have never seen that before and I have been doing this for 23 years. The tanks have been working for me now for 5+ years.
4. I can afford to replace a leaker in most cases. There are a lot of used tanks for sale out there plus i got a lof of my tanks from 10s to 55s at the old $1/gal. sales at PetCo.

On the 150 gal.
IMG_2165.JPG
On the 125 gal.
IMG_2164.JPG

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Ya know there's a reward to trying something new, TTA. I know resealing is not something you've ever done for several reasons. & that's OK...I get it.
But don't look down your nose at those of us who have & don't think it's all that hard. I'm guessing here so don't be insulted, but have you ever caulked a bathtub, sink or window seal?

My F-I-L worked in a warehouse where they made "local tanks" for chain shops, et al. They were not "pros" by any means. Low wage workers with caulking guns, silicone, maybe a helper, rims & some clamps? But that's starting from scratch, sticking the panes together & adding rims...Resealing is not the same. Glass panes are already stuck together & tank rims are on. Resealing is much less of an ordeal & very much less expensive than buying new, even on sale.

But of course our labor comes at a "price". A few hours total over several days or weeks, some silicone caulk, painter's tape, maybe a caulking gun. But maybe teaching someone else how this caulking skill crosses from hobby to house ownership...hmm...

It's not worth the effort for some people, I might be there soon-ish but not yet. We don't all have your financial advantages but even some of us who do, choose to try something that can have financial & ecological implications..&.we do try it. We fix the things we can within reason...my reasons are different than yours...but mine are valid too!!

Reactions: dougall
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store