Aquarium on carpet

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

iangangoo

BIG FISH
Jan 18, 2006
Canada
I will be starting up my aquarium again but my new place only has carpet, what are your thoughts-experiences with aquariums on carpet. Is it safe? my last place had hardwood floors, I am not sure how it will stand up on carpet.

aknif

...maybe the Dingo ate your baby!!
Dec 27, 2004
Denver, CO
Both of my big tanks are on carpet... I'm not sure what your concern is about them?

I feel better about my tanks on carpet than I would on hardwoods. If I was going to set up a tank on hardwoods, i'd put a piece of styrofoam under it to absorb any irregularities in the floor. With carpet... that's not an issue.

iangangoo

BIG FISH
Jan 18, 2006
Canada
my only concern is with balance, your saying it is better to balance my 90 gallon tank on carpet? Just a little nervous with the thought.

jmattingly

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
Aurora, CO
I don't think you have too much to worry about, if you set things up correctly and pay attention while you're doing it.

I have a 125 gallon tank set up on carpet in my home. When I first got the tank on the stand, out came the level. I made sure everything was centered and that the tank was level.

After the tank was about 1/3 full, I got the level out again and checked to make sure everything was still in line. I did the same thing as the tank approached full.

Hardwood floors aren't forgiving. If there are flaws in the floor, they will transfer the flaw to whatever you put on it... as far as being level is concerned. Carpet has a pad underneath. So slight imperfections in the levelness of the floor is going to be lessened by the carpet and the pad.

Just use a level as you start to set things up and you should be fine.

Joe

aknif

...maybe the Dingo ate your baby!!
Dec 27, 2004
Denver, CO
I'm kinda confused about what you mean by "balance"? A 90 gallon tank is gonna weigh a LOT.. even on the plushest 1972 avocado green shag, that tank is going to settle right in and squash the carpet and pad right down.

Just like jmattingly says, get it where you want it and be sure it's level, and monitor it as you fill it. Once it's full, it's not going ANYWHERE.

iangangoo

BIG FISH
Jan 18, 2006
Canada
thanks guys I will take the advise and keep my trusty level handy.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
a level and some shims and you're set

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
it's really going to depend on how far out of level it is.

remember that the torque is going to affect the stand and depending on the stand the aquarium itself.

but a lot depends on how far off level it is..is it is just off plumb..I wouldn't worry too much..it's easy to shim it if it is off..especially if the tank isn't full..witht the right equiptment it isn't difficult even if it's full.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store