Aquarium on carpet

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Angel_Keeper

AC Members
Dec 18, 2005
i was just seting up a 55 gallon and than i saw some people say its better in carpet than in hardwood>>??

Can i put the tank in Hardwood though?? i did notice the water moving when people walk around it.

I dont have carpets at home. is it good if i put a rug under the metal stand or will it be ok withot it??

aknif

...maybe the Dingo ate your baby!!
Dec 27, 2004
Denver, CO
Stingray, neither of my large tanks are PERFECTLY level, but neither of them are off by 1/2" either. I am not certain that it's an issue, but it would make me nervous! I'd do something about it if it were my tank off by 1/2".

Angelkeeper, if you have one of those wrought iron stands, i'd put a rug under it just to protect your floor as much as anything. If your stand has 4 feet touching the floor, I wouldn't worry about the floor being unevenl as much as I would a wooden stand that has contact all along the floor. I'd just put the rug under there to protect the floor more than anything. Just be sure the stand and tank are level on it once you have it set up.

If I ever move and have to set up one of my tanks on hardwood, my stands are all wood, i'd go to Home Depot to buy a piece of 3/4" styrofoam to put under the stand.... to absorb any irregularities in the flooring. (And to protect the floor too!)

Just my .02!

stingray4540

Hello, Hello, Helloooo!
Oct 18, 2005
San Jose, CA
www.geocities.com
Just my two cents, but if it's one of those stands with just 4 skinny legs and the tank moves when people walk by, I would be reall nervous. Those Types of stand are already unstable, I wouldn't want to know what extra movement would do. I say this because I have one for my 30 gallon and it scares me. I prefer the wood cabinet kind, very stable.

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
If you're concerned about stability, regardless of the flooring, you can tether the stand to the wall. I have done that with book shelves and dressers too, so that the kids can't accidently pull them over. :)

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
1/2" off on a 6' tank..i would have personally leveled that...but part of it depends on the type of stand.

aquariums on hardwood floors..aren't bad but I would put something between the stand and the floor(kind of like a buffer) compressed foam rubber ot dense styofoam.

LunchBox

Me fail english? that's unpossible!
Feb 7, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
I used to have a 40 gallon set up on carpet and near the wall where they tacked the carpet down there was something under there that made the tank off balance. In case that is a concern my suggestion is to take a keyhole saw (or other saw) and cut a wooden yardstick to the length of your tank and use it to shim which ever side of the tank is lower. A yardstick is sometimes what flooring companies use to tack down carpet along the edges (my office was recently recarpeted so I've seen it firsthand) so it should be just the right thickness.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store