Aquarium plants dying

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishie boy

AC Members
Nov 5, 2019
Hi guys,

I recently started a planted tank, but the plants have now started to die. Im not sure why? They are all slowly turning brown/clear from the bottom up and then disintegrating
Ammonia and nitrites are 0, nitrates are 20
The plants are planted in 2” of Tropica soil and I dose weekly with a liquid fertiliser
Photos of some of the plants are below

IMG_0861.jpegIMG_0862.jpegIMG_0863.jpeg

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
What light are you using? Over what tank?

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
I can't really tell from the 1st picture, but are those floating plants?
Check the pH and KH.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Floating plants are unlikely to be damaged by light unless they physically touch it, but in general you either choose for floating plants or submerged aquatic plants, you can't have both like you do they take away the light and nutrients for the other plants.

Reactions: northernlady

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Im using a 7W white and blue LED on a sunrise/sunset timer, with a max intensity of 85%. The tank is a 20l cube
Watts do not really indicate how much light there is, just how much power the light will use to run.

I will say that more light couldn't hurt, so turning it up to full would be an ok thing.

Where possible try to get plants that have been grown submerged, or have been submerged for at least a couple of weeks.

Finally, try to seperate the plants before you plant them.. don't put all stems into the same part of the substrate; make sure there's room for light to get down in there.

Reactions: Fishie boy

WilliamBowman

AC Members
Feb 15, 2020
4322 Forest Drive Beltsville, VA 20705
www.amoskeagfishways.org
Real Name
WilliamBowman
Yeah the first ones are, but I think they might have been damaged by the light. The ph is 6.4, not sure what the KH is
KH is basically the buffer capacity of the aquarium if KH above 50 ppm helps prevent a sudden drop in pH. KH (carbonate hardness) is an important energy source in the nitrification cycle of microorganisms consuming ammonia and nitrite. In addition, carbonate is used by plants to photosynthesis without carbon dioxide.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I think he was saying that he didn't know the value, rather than the definition

Reactions: WilliamBowman

itsethan

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
Chances are that there is nutrient imbalance inside the tank. Check for the same esp. iron.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store