Aquarium subtrate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nano55

AC Members
May 14, 2007
I have a 100 gal. tank that I was thinking of changing the subtrate from the aquarium gravel I have in there now to sand. I have African Cichlids in the tank. I have never had a tank with sand in it before, I have always used gravel. When I clean my tanks, I vacuum the gravel and add the fresh water with a python. How do you mantain a tank with sand? Do you need to worry about the filter sucking up sand back into the filter?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Just keep your filter intake about 2-3" above it and you should be okay. When siphoning for cleaning, you will hover the tube over the sand vice pressing into the gravel.

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
I have a small 10g(with sand) with a hob filter and I did cover the intake with sponge from a filter I wasn't using. I was seeing some sand on the lip of the area where the water flows back into the tank. If I let it go any longer I'm sure that I'd have to replace the impeller. I think if I had sand in my 75g I would do that too because the intake is down low and I wouldn't want sand in there for sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store