Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Aquasafe and iron/fertilisers

Discussion in 'Planted Aquariums' started by mdowdall, Feb 25, 2006.

1. mdowdall

mdowdall AC Members

Aug 10, 2006
    Howdy

If I add a trace element fertiliser to my tank (Plantamin) and then add Aquasafe, is the addition of the second defeating the addition of the first if you understand me?

I read somewhere else that Aquasafe can remove metals and such like.

Am I wasting my time adding trace elements and Aquasafe?

Thanks if any one can help (nice forum by the way)

mdowdall

2. Jay

Jay AC Members

Oct 27, 2008
    Hi mdowdall...Welcome

Are you adding the stuff only at water change?

I think the "heavy metals" in question are copper, zinc, lead, and manganese.
    I would check with your local water department's water quality report and see if there is an issue. if not why treat for it? I do not use Aquasafe as my primary need is to deal with chlorine and chloramine only.

From the little reading I have done on the product, I do not think it will interfere with iron dosing. I always dose micros 24 hours after a water change and then every other day opposite my macro dosing as I believe PO4 will cause the iron to precipitate out if dosed too close in time.

Jay

3. mdowdall

mdowdall AC Members

Aug 10, 2006
    hey

I was adding the aquasafe at water changes to elimate chlorine/chloramine which I know is in the water.

Then I read that thi sstuff removes metals (copper for example) and I was worried that it would nullify my trace fertilisers, also added at water changes.

So I didnt want to be wasting time and money adding both if one was hindering the other.

Im not really into adding stuff to the tanks anyway as I haven no real problems with either fish plants or algae.

But thanks for th einfo

mdowdall

4. MrDibbs

MrDibbs AC Members

Oct 30, 2017
    So the purpose of the Aquasafe is to remove chlorine and chloramine, as these chemicals are regularly added to tap water in order to prevent bacteria build up. Unfortunately those same chemicals that keep our drinking water clean kill the beneficial bacteria in the aquarium.

Aquasafe is designed to take out the chlorine and chloramine, as well as remove the heavy metals as mentioned already. Heavy metals are: Mercury (Hg), cadmium (Cd), arsenic (As), chromium (Cr), thallium (Tl), and lead (Pb). You don't really want to be drinking these yourself, although I think that humans can tolerate a certain level. I'd leave that research up to you.

However to fish, smaller amounts of these metals are likely more dangerous, hence the aquasafe. I'm not sure if aquasafe is a chemical compound that breaks down these heavy metals or bacteria that live off them, another good thing to research.

Plantamin and fertilisers will provide elements to the aquarium such as magnesium, iron and potassium. These are not heavy metals and should therefore not be "treated" by the aquasafe.

I have been using aquasafe when I do water changes and tetramin once a month, although I think that with regular water changes I need to up the dosage of tetramin.