aquatic plant newbie

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

midiamin

MidiAmin
Jan 29, 2005
San Francisco
Gro lights or the screw in power compact bulbs that Mgamer recommended. You can also get a retrofit kit and change your fixture from one bulb to two. LFS.

FISHLORD_8

AC Members
Nov 22, 2004
what plants can i buy from the store with my kind of lighting

fgump

AC Members
May 17, 2007
Utah
From PetsMart, none. The only aquatic plant they have, at least in my area, is Amazon Sword. And I doubt it will survive with your current light setup.

Not sure about PetCo, I haven't checked out their plants in awhile. But I bet it's similar to PetsMart.

If you do get your plants from PetsMart/PetCo, be SURE to write down the names first and research them. Because I bet they won't survive underwater.

I've never had it, but I hear Java Fern is a great low light plant. But I've never seen that at either PetsMart or PetCo. Again, that could just be my area though.

FISHLORD_8

AC Members
Nov 22, 2004
wow this is more complicated than i thought , so if i want to buy other plants , ill have to change the entire bulb?

bkw1982

I'M GOING TO ZOMBIELAND
Aug 6, 2006
San Antonio, TX
wow this is more complicated than i thought , so if i want to buy other plants , ill have to change the entire bulb?
if you hav the stock hood then maybe u can sneak in some low light plants, but dont expect great growth.

the bulbs that MG suggested are fine and affordable, the thing is if ur hood isnt a screw in type u might hav to do some mods to it, which is still cheaper then buyin a new one.

go with ur budget

spirals

i will eat you in your sleep
oh wow...the only plants petsmart sells that are aquatic are the swords? here i thought red lugwigia, java fern, moneywort, and most of our other plants were aquatic too...guess i'm informing my customers wrongly by suggesting them for their aquariums...

yes i'm being sarcastic

buying from chain stores is fine as long as you do your research beforehand. not a lot is known about plants because (as you will find out on this forum) theres a lot to it!! When pet stores (not fish stores) have to know how to keep animals alive, plants tend to take a back seat, so the workers may not know exactly how to take care of the plants as well as the animals. with a little research u can just go "i want one of these please" and life is good :)

fgump

AC Members
May 17, 2007
Utah
oh wow...the only plants petsmart sells that are aquatic are the swords? here i thought red lugwigia, java fern, moneywort, and most of our other plants were aquatic too...guess i'm informing my customers wrongly by suggesting them for their aquariums...

yes i'm being sarcastic
If you can get the PetsMart in my area to sale the plants you listed, I'll revise what I said. But as I said, "The only aquatic plant they have, at least in my area, is Amazon Sword". And I wish the PetsMart here sold red lugwigia. I want some, and I'd rather pick it up locally. But I'm going to have to order it online somewhere.

And others have posted on this board about that being true about the PetsMart in their area also.

Does your PetsMart have actual tanks with the plants in them? Because mine only carries the tubes. :(

And yes, we realized you were being sarcastic :D

spirals

i will eat you in your sleep
aw..you need to move to my area :) yeah we have this huge 4 tiered (each tier probably holds like...20G worth of water) monster of a plant tank. takes me like...an hour to algae scrub the freaking thing and make it nice and clean. hmm yay for me being in an old store then, no tubes for me!

sorry about the sarcasm, hasn't been a good week in pet care world for me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store