Aquatic Plants with Miracle Grow

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
Miracle grow is entirely too strong. Pretty much any fertilizer designed for terrestrials is going to be way overkill for aquarium plants. The only exception I know of is using pieces of jobe sticks in the substrate like root tabs.
one other exception as i know it... organic potting soil as a bottom layer for your substrate. you'd have to be careful to get one with low concentrations of wood particles as it seems to create too much of a break down of organic matter. if you were to go similar to the walstad method you'd use that an inch thick covered by 1"-2" of inert substrate like gravel or sand. in this manner i believe miracle grow isn't too bad, but it has to be their organic potting soil. for your water column though there really is no fert you can cheat with.

another note: if you were to use potting soil you'd have to be real careful to never release any into the water column. in other words you'd have to almost never move anything.

jamesstill84

Curiosity salted the snail!
Jan 2, 2009
Winchester, Kentucky
I did use potting soil from Wal-Mart. It's the cheap stuff without any additional fertz. I did put some sand on top of it. I need to do a water change when I get home to get rid of the debris that is still floating around. There aren't any fish, shrimp, crays, or even snails in this tank. It's purely for seeing how the plants will grow with direct sunlight & Miracle Gro (which I will exclude now).

thesixis

AC Members
Feb 3, 2009
New Jersey
Is there a "all in one" fert sold in lfs?

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
Is there a "all in one" fert sold in lfs?
flourish comprehensive but i'd hardly call it, or anything else all in one for aquariums. pmdd is the closest you'll get but that isn't even perfect imo.

Pixie_84

AC Members
Jan 15, 2009
Kentucky
Whoops, I thought you were looking for a cheap way to raise some plants out. haha, I guess that was all me thinking that. Are you not following thru with this experiment? I think you should since you really have nothing to lose. The plants you had selected were all ones you didn't want to keep anyways.

jamesstill84

Jan 2, 2009
Winchester, Kentucky
I may give it a try. We'll see.

You know... since you're at home today, and I'm at work... you could always do a water change on it for me. *wink, wink*

jamesstill84

Jan 2, 2009
Winchester, Kentucky
Hah! We're going to have to train the dogs to clean up after us... ;)

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Excel is a carbon additive for replacing co2. Flourish is the macros, you would still need micros.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store