Aqueon Evolve 8 - pros/cons?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Wow that's really blue! Here I thought the blue look of your tank was due to the white balancing of the camera.

I bet the fluorescence is really outstanding on your corals though!

Andy

moby goby

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
New York
Real Name
Robert
Has anyone experienced problems with the Evolve led light? I bought the Evolve 4 about 3 or 4 months ago and nearly half of the lights are out! Could water have gotten onto the light and caused this problem? I wonder if Aqueon sells replecments?

CuriousAmerican

AC Members
Apr 24, 2013
.aqueon-evolve-nano-aquarium-3.jpg Why don't you modify the Evolve 8 this way?

Drill holes on the back bottom of the chamber. This would have a two fold effect.
1) Those who want to stuff the chamber with foam, biobags, and filter floss, could do so,
2) but those who want to use the evolve 8 standard insert would not be affected. You should also drill some holes halfway back down on the side.
This way a lower level would not stop the flow.
1) Again, the average Joe would still by the evolve 8 filter insert.
2) But the expert might appreciate the drilled holes so he could add his own media. Otherwise, the expert may not buy the tank.
3) Also with holes on the bottom, the flow would go under the filter chamber wher carbon or purigen could be put.
Finally the upper right of the filter chamber could be closed. You would not need the overflow. since the flow would go through the bottom, not the upper right.

Why don't you modify the Evolve 8 this way?
Drill holes on the back bottom of the chamber. This would have a two fold effect.
1) Those who want to stuff the chamber with foam, biobags, and filter floss, could do so,
2) but those who want to use the evolve 8 standard insert would not be affected. You should also drill some holes halfway back down on the side.
This way a lower level would not stop the flow.
1) Again, the average Joe would still by the evolve 8 filter insert.
2) But the expert might appreciate the drilled holes so he could add his own media. Otherwise, the expert may not buy the tank.
3) Also with holes on the bottom, the flow would go under the filter chamber wher carbon or purigen could be put.
Finally the upper right of the filter chamber could be closed. You would not need the overflow. since the flow would go through the bottom, not the upper right.

aqueon-evolve-nano-aquarium-3.jpg

CuriousAmerican

AC Members
Apr 24, 2013
What is the true gallonage of the Aqueon 8 on the display side (not counting the sump/pump area)?

I have seen different values from different people?

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
If you drill the holes in the Evolve filter like shown the cartridge will no longer filter properly. The water flow will go only through the very bottom portion of the cartridge instead of distributing across the entire face of the cartridge. Of course that would depend on how many and what diameter holes you drill and how high you fill the rear chamber.

It would not be a problem with those that replace the cartridge and holster with foam or other media however.

The display area volume of the Evolve 8 is 4.9 gallons.

Andy

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
I got an Evolve 8 light off CL and slapped it on my 20g tall fry tank expecting it to be a nice mellow light, but it pretty much lights up the whole tank lol. Also, the moonlights look great in the bedroom ;)

IMG329.jpg

Also, we've had three returns of this tank in my store. One was because it was "too loud." We set it up with the suction cups, and it was quiet. The other two were because of 1-2 inches of stress fractures or crazing along the top edge of brand new tanks. Is the crazing common? or was it a shipping issue?

IMG329.jpg

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
The crazing is caused by the flame polishing that is done on the top edges to smooth the cut edges of the acrylic out during production. If it's done too quickly the rapid cooling causes the crazing marks. It doesn't cause any harm structurally but does look bad aesthetically.

Because the timeline was short and the volume was very high at first a lot of the first production run tanks have this but it has been corrected as the production rate has slowed down and QC has gotten stricter on accepting or rejecting them.

Andy

CuriousAmerican

AC Members
Apr 24, 2013
It would not be a problem with those that replace the cartridge and holster with foam or other media however.
Exactly my point! If you only drill holes in the bottom of the chamber, you could get rid of the chamber slit on the back wall right. The water would flow from the top to the bottom through the cartridge, or whatever media one inserted.

I know your firm wants to sell cartridges, and you will for the average user. But if you give people options, you may get the expert as well. In this case, drill the holes in the bottom of the chamber, but not on the side to the display area. Just use the slits only.

The display area volume of the Evolve 8 is 4.9 gallons.

Man, that is small. The attraction of the Evolve 8 is the built in filter sump.

Is your firm considering something just a scootch bigger??

One more question: How soft is the acrylic? I have been to public aquariums and the acrylic is about an inch think with no scratches. Are they using a different plastic. Or is acrylic's scratchability exaggerated?

The 4.9 gal is a killer though. I wanted to put some cardinal tetras in it. It is a gorgeous tank though. I love the built in sump filter, but the holds should be in the bottom of the chamber with no side slit in the back. You could stuff a back of purigen underneath the filter chamber then.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store