Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Aqueon Modular LED

Discussion in 'Freshwater Equipment, Products, & DIY' started by jasonfishaddict, Mar 4, 2014.

1. jasonfishaddict

jasonfishaddict AC Members

Jason
    I live in King William county Virginia, USA
    Dec 13, 2014
    Jason
    I love the Aqueon Modular LED light fixture on my planted 29g so much that I bought one for my 24g bow front. The 1 bulb the unit comes with is bright but I bought a second "Day" bulb for my low light planted tank. The fixture holds up to 3 bulbs and they fit snugly. There's a "Day", Colormax, and Blue to mix and match which allows you to customize it to fit your lighting needs.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

2. Narwhal72

Narwhal72 AC Members

Jul 9, 2018
    There is a new BeautyMax light coming out for the Aqueon Modulars soon. Really brings out the fish colors but you need to use it by itself or at least a 2-1 ratio of it to the day white to get full effect.

White light counters out the color enhancing effect.

3. kahunacohen

kahunacohen AC Members

Feb 26, 2015
    Hi I have the Aqueon modular LED fixture with two bulbs. I bought a second when I bought the fixture. It allows 3. I have some Java Ferns and a few other plants. Not sure what they are. Maybe you can help me figure out what they are...

Do you think I need 3 lights? I don;t see much about LEDs in the books I read but that maybe because they are fairly new, no?

Here are the pics. Sorry they are upside down, I am not sure why they are so when I insert them, they weren't taken upside down:

photo 2 (1).JPG photo 1 (1).JPG

photo 2 (1).JPG photo 1 (1).JPG

4. jasonfishaddict

Jason
    Dec 13, 2014
    Jason
    1st of all, I bought this fixture because I liked the flexibility of it. I used it for my planted tank as an experiment and am very pleased with the results. I also have 2 bulbs and questioned a third but with low light plants you don't need it. As for what kind of plants those are, I'm no expert but someone will identify them for you. BTW, here's a pic of my tank:

5. jasonfishaddict

Jason
    Dec 13, 2014
    Jason
  6. Narwhal72

Narwhal72 AC Members

Jul 9, 2018
    Kahunacohen- the smaller grass like plant is microsword (Lilaeopsis sp.) and the other plant is an Amazon sword (Echinodorus sp.).

You are going to want additional light for both plants. Microsword is a fairly difficult plant to grow without high light and CO2. I don't think it will do well for you. A good alternative would be pygmy chain sword which is much hardier. The Amazon sword will do better with higher lighting.

Andy

7. kahunacohen

kahunacohen AC Members

Feb 26, 2015
    Yes I figured that out. So my choice is getting a different light setup. I don't think even adding another LED strip will do the trick. Probably the best bet for a beginner is to make this tank a low-light tank. So the Java Ferns stay, but the others should find a new home. Does this sound reasonable? jasonfishaddict: That tank looks fantastic. Can you identify each plant for me?

Thanks!

8. jasonfishaddict

Jason
    Dec 13, 2014
    Jason
    Background: Bacopa caroliniana
    Mid-ground & Foreground; Amazon Swords, Anubias, Java Ferns, and Cryptocoryne sp.
    It's a 29g with 2 "Day" bulbs. Like I said, this was an experiment; I had to prove that this fixture will grow plants.

9. Evanleigh

Evanleigh Poprocks!

Evanleigh
    Sep 4, 2017
    Evanleigh
    Camera Used:
    iphone 6s
    Yay! I have found another member with a 29 gall, planted, Aqueon LED set up. My tank is also proof that these LED's grow plants. I use two "day" and one "colormax" bulbs, so a total of 3 strips. My plants have new growth all the time, even the slow growers, like anubias nana and cryptocoryn. I do use flourish excel for a bit of c02 but the lights work great. I even have had concern that maybe the 3 lights are a bit much due to some beard HPIM2941.JPG algae and diatoms. In any case, even with that, the plants grow well.

You have an awesome planted tank. Your plants all look healthy with nice colors. Here's a photo of mine. I suck with the camera, but you will get the idea.

HPIM2941.JPG

10. jasonfishaddict

Jason
    Dec 13, 2014
    Jason
    Thanks. I ordered a "Day" bulb when I ordered the fixture. I didn't think 1 would be enough and really didn't know anything about the Colormax bulb. 2 work well and dosing ferts help. My tank is now overgrown and I'm transferring some of them to my 75g. Good to hear from you. I was beginning to think I was the only one with this LED fixture. It is very good.