Arapaima Pond Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Awesome job. Now just wait until he gets really big and starts trying to eat the cleaning lady :)
Lol, he seems to be smart enough not to bite the hand that feeds him.
Saturday really need to start on the bogs.
Water gets dirty and I need that filtration getting up.
The tanks do spit out a lot of rubbish though, sure helps slowing it down.
Had quite some rain yesterday, so topping up the pond is free for now....lol.

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
P5190306.jpgP5190308.jpgP5190309.jpgP5190310.jpg

Some of you guys might have wondered...where are the updates...
Here you go. We finished moving a tap, changed the net on 1 side, put in a steel frame and sandbags in some spots.
Then big bags, liner and filled it..

Now waiting for stones and need to fix the water-diffuser in the Bog...then fill with gravel.
But for now, I added maybe another 3 CBM of water to the system.
The flat platform where the water comes down will get large flat garden stones on it.
So you will hardly see the liner anymore.
Then need to fill up around the bog with sand as well.
Some spots still need filling and work, but with a bit of wet feet, we can get around at the backside easily.
When the bog is all full, you'd hardly see the back and sides anymore, all filled up with high growing plants.

P5190306.jpg P5190308.jpg P5190309.jpg P5190310.jpg

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Wow, came in this morning and to my surprise, the water looks a lot better than Saturday. It's very bright and clear, can see fish all the way to the bottom, even the smaller ones. Tilapia all happy again, I guess Mr. T. figured already that they are too fast for him, so he doesn't bother them much anymore.
Part of the clearing up might be the bog-area acting as a second settling tank for now, but also, a large area with dirt inside the pond (under the waterfall and all the way to the first bottom-drain has now been swept into the bottom-drain by the flow from the bog. I'm getting very anxious to fill in that bog.

Also measured it, and it's 20" deep... Ideal depth for a bog, so I'm smiling all over today.. Forgot to measure that on Saturday, but that will be about 1 Cubic Meter of gravel for plants. Part of the gravel will be at water-surface, most will be about 5" below the surface for Lotus flowers and small fish.

Then need to get large stones for the water-fall and the sides. First, today filling up a bit more and see if we can reach the skimmer level.

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Mentioned it on MFK-site, but the front facing walls of the bog will eventually be cut down to just above water-level.
They are steel frame, then a steel plate, then underliner and finally the liner itself.
So using a grinder to cut down the steel-frame is easy without cutting into the liner because the steel plate protects it.
From there bend the steel-plate down and with the liner over it, I can make that into a platform/walkway to access the bog.

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Question for Bog-Experts...

Still in doubt on the gravel...

1. "Money saving" crushed granite
2. Expensive Pea Gravel / Rounded river stones

Number two is a given and commonly used, but I wonder if option 1 would work.
I can imagine that 'non-rounded' stones make for more difficult water flow, but I just wonder, with a 10k liter/hour pump and a 3" undergravel pipe with slots cut at about 1/2" wide, 2" apart, would that give enough space and force to remove that concern.

The financial difference is about 10-fold, so considerable.

Given that the granite is very dark/black, it nicely colors with the liner in the bog and really pops out the colors of the plants.
So I'd really like to go with the granite, but opinions/support or negatives on it are very welcome.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Well, with the crushed stones I'd be worried about the following three things:

1) Fish getting scratched/injured by it. Or if it gets into the main pond, fish eating it and getting internal injuries.
2) Dirt/scum/debris getting stuck caught on the edges formed.
3) Packing down and becoming more like a solid block of rock then a porous substrate

I'm not a bog expert though, those are just the things I'd be worried about as a newbie :)

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Well, with the crushed stones I'd be worried about the following three things:

1) Fish getting scratched/injured by it. Or if it gets into the main pond, fish eating it and getting internal injuries.

Not so much of a concern to me, valid point though, but it's small fish, guppies and stuff.
The second bog-pond might become fish-grow out, to decide later.

2) Dirt/scum/debris getting stuck caught on the edges formed.
3) Packing down and becoming more like a solid block of rock then a porous substrate

Both 2 and 3 are indeed my concerns. Wonder if anyone has experience with gravel other than pea-shaped/flat river-stones.

I'm not a bog expert though, those are just the things I'd be worried about as a newbie :)
Thanks for the input...confirms more or less my concerns.
Cheers,
Luc

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Well, for the fish eating it, I was worried more that it would wash into the main pond during a rainstorm and Mr T would eat it.

Good luck with the bog!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store