Arapaima Pond Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Thanks MyKidsMyLife, BellTrain, RBishop. I am getting very excited to move Mr.T.

But!!!!

This is always a nice question:

STOCKING OPTIONS....

now, I have of course Mr.T.
bought an hybrid RTC. growing out now and getting used to being hand fed and tickled and played with.
next...

Anything that goes with arapaima?

I am thinking of Datnoids, silver dollars.
I read somewhere that Arowana don't like bigger fish than themselves, but enlighten me and give me names, ideas and pictures...

In Thaialnd you can get almost everything that exists, so I am looking forward to all of your suggestions.

Thanks all for your comments and support so far.

Cheers,
Luc

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
62.jpg61.jpg63.jpg64.jpg65.jpg66.jpg55.jpg54.jpg51.jpg
Last couple of attachments did not get in well.
Try again.
Additionally, I've made a cover that goes on top of the settling-tank.
Took the old antenna dish, cut it along the 1/3 - 2/3 line and added 2 hinges.
So the 2/3 part will screw on top of the tank, while the 1/3 part will be the access door.

Pond looks huge with the black protection tarp in it.
Waiting this week for some concrete-work, then get 1 Saturday off and in 2 weeks time, we start moving the old pond a bit to win 1 extra meter of space, did that out and prepare to test-fill the first part of the pond for the bottom-drain test.

Anyhow, that's 2 weeks from now..sigh..

61.jpg 62.jpg 63.jpg 64.jpg 65.jpg 66.jpg 55.jpg 54.jpg 51.jpg

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Some other pictures: the pipes for the settling-tank are finished.
Everything connected and in place.
You see 1 small PVC pipe, for diffuser on the drain.
2 large pipes coming out with a valve, 1 is to drain and clean the settling tank. The other one is to drain and clean the pond's bottom-drain.
Both large pipes are completely straight up to the end, where it ends with a 90' elbow. Only a 45' bend once the pipes go horizontal.
So it's very easy to clean with a long flexible brush if ever necessary.

The large capped pipe next to the tank is not glued yet, but will be used to release trapped air.
Not sure yet If I do that with a small airline or a valve. Need to test first.
By any physics laws I know, the waterlevel in this pipe should always stay same to the pond and the settling tank, so a simple hole should suffice.
Test first, then believe physics laws...lol...

Also started last bit of concrete for support of the front wall and as base for metal pillars for hooking a large sunshade-net at the same time.
Then all the 'big work' pretty much finished for now.
Ready to start moving the old tank as much as possible, then the liner in, finish bottom drain and test.

11.jpg 12.jpg
13.jpg 14.jpg

11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Hello Belltrain,

Thanks for the suggestion. Oscar looks a good chance, Pacu too massive for the shape of the pond I think.
I found this list from John's Gigas tank.
gigas channel cat, tsn/rtc or sometime that looks similar/ red devils, dovii pair, orange pike pair, jaguar pair, red terrors, electric cat, 2 silver aro's, a mess of plecos, splendida ( sp ?), black belt, oscar, p'bass, parrot hybrids and others................... What you think?

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
National holiday, good, working on the pond.
Poring the concrete supports.
Finished some small holes in the antenna / tank.
Put the cover on top later today.

Decided to not use the dinner plate for the bottom drain.
I am afraid that bigger fish will keep knocking it when chasing smaller fish and break off the air-pipe.
so I will poor a 50cm concrete disc with a hole for the air-pipe in the middle.
the disc will be about 15cm thick.
After drying out, I will paint it with outdoor wall paint to make it water proof.
disc will stand on PVC elbows that stick into the concrete.
not sure about the weight, guess about 20 kilo, so heavy enough not to be moved around.
will at the same time keep the liner around the drain in place.

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Concrete work almost finished.
Tested the settling tank, pretty much ok, only some leaks that need silicone.
I am pretty sure they are pop nails that leak, so a drop of silicone on each of them will solve that.
filled up 2/3rd to see how much it drains overnight.
tested the drain for the settling tank, wow, that's some water pushing out. Cleans everything out, all the sand and rubbish from installation came out in a few seconds. So no worries on that one for sure.

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Next week Saturday we will be ready to roll out the liner up to the current pond with Mr. T. in it I hope. Need to get cable and sunshade up first, don't want any risk with people walking on the liner.
Check the new dome tomorrow, see if that works taking it out of the mold.
I used a dustbin bag in the mold for easy removal. Then paper on the bottom to make a flat top of the dome.
PVC pipe in a plastic lunch bag to keep an opening for the airline. Plastic bag again should make removal easy.
Nice big flat dome with 1" spacing.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
All said and told, that is an amazing pond. Even more amazing that your company is paying for it(?). I think that Mr.T give very lucky when he ended up in your storm drain :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store