Are cichlids and gourami compatible?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishfood420

AC Members
Jan 26, 2009
I figure he will be a lot of trouble when he gets larger. I am gonna buy him his own tank in a few months.

Cole99v

SA Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2009
Tacoma
I have a Three spot gourami, and he does fine with some of my midsize cichlids. but of course he's full grown i.e. meaning 6 inches. i would say a large gourami that grows in with some cichlids that stay under 7 inches would be fine.

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Thysochromis ansorgii. There's not much published info out there on these little guys, but they are the most peaceful dwarf cichlid (except for maybe bolivian rams) I've ever found. The best article on them is in Linke & Staeck's Cichlids from West Africa. Heck, it's the only article I've ever seen on them - there are no articles on the web.

Lars has some pictures about 2/3rds down this page: http://www.lem.net/alf/westafr.htm
For some reason, my netbook (or maybe it's firefox) hates Lar's website these days - takes forever to load.

Except when spawing, these guys are peaceful. Even when spawing in a 33 gallon tank, they live fine with cherry barbs, variatus platys, and a leopard bushfish.

One nice things about these guys is, unlike many dwarf cichlids, they're not shy...at all.

Eric

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
I agree with Colar from my observation of a family run pricey but well maintained LFS in my area. They are always getting huge donated fish that they sell for excellent prices considering their size.

My point is they have them grouped in what seem like the most outrageous combination's some in groups of Pacu, Oscars and Blood Parrots, Some with Parrots and huge sharks and some all alone. I recall commenting on why one huge Oscar was housed alone and they told be he was a fighter.

Amazingly these fish would just tolerate one another with no visible damage or signs of aggression but who wants a charcoal flat gray Pacu the size of a dinner plate at any price.

Laiderman

Registered Member
May 17, 2019
I had to buy a separate tank to rejuvenate blue, I have an array of cichlids and ALL of them attempted to pick blue apart...

707B506B-2868-49C4-B5C8-C969CD809B38.jpeg

BE8DA62E-8F17-4BFF-845F-233AA375AD8F.jpeg

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
The blue/opaline ones have been kept in an open top pond with various mid level agressive cichlids(convicts, midas, etc), and held their own, but those are the most feisty of the gourami. If considering a croaking gourami I would not even consider dwarf cichlids with them.

Brandonsarrett

Registered Member
Mar 18, 2020
I have a 3 inch opaline gourami and a neon swordtail. The gourami did not like the Tetra or gold algae eater I had before. I wanted to add a ram cichlid to my tank because it feels empty with only two fish but the ones at the store had ick. Thoughts on how to make my gourami and a peacock cichlid compatible?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store