Are crayfish escape artists?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
is this true with the dwarf species as well? kind of makes me shy away from one. i wouldnt want it escaping, and i wanted it in my riparium.

cmbtengr1371

AC Members
Jan 18, 2012
the only way I could keep my crays from escaping after my wife stepped on one in the middle of the night is to use a solid screen top I used for reptiles and I still find them in between the top trim and the screen in the lip of the tank. after I put them back in the water they stay for a week orso then I find them on the lip again

Sent from my SGH-T959 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

steffish

AC Members
Apr 18, 2006
My crayfish must be abnormal. I've had her for two years and she has never tried to climb out. The tank is half full of rocks, driftwoods, and fake plants which she explores, climbs, and tries to rearrange tho.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I don't think it's about the size of the tank. I think it's about a) the number of hiding spaces, b) the individual. I've had 3 different species of cray and never had any escape. I kept lids on the tanks, but I seldom was worried about it being tightly covered. All of my tanks had lots of places for them to hide--piles of wood, rocks, chunks of PVC, castles, whatever works. Keep the water clean, offer a variety of foods. If you end up with an escape artist, take action.

Guppy_love

AC Members
Mar 13, 2020
Can I have an open top tank only half full with water if there is nothing for them to use to climb out? They can’t climb the glass right?!

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
The tank has a hood, but there are holes where the heater and the filter go...maybe I could go to the craft store and get some netting and duct tape it over. Does he need more oxygen? should I put an airstone in there? It kinda looks like he is trying to get to the sails that are near the top of the tank. He has eaten all the ones at the bottom. I just want to make sure that his attempt at escape isn't because there is something wrong with his environment. I have tested his water and everything is normal. The temp is 74, is that to high? I have been googling but can't seem to find much for good resources.
Crayfish are escape artists, just like some / all loaches.
It seems to me like he's trying to get the snails at the top of the tank. Do you have another spare tank where you could putin the snails? If yes, do so, and see if his behaviour changes.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Zombie thread!

Can I have an open top tank only half full with water if there is nothing for them to use to climb out? They can’t climb the glass right?!
Never seen it, but I've heard of them getting enough purchase on the silicone in the corners of the tank to climb up. I assume you'd also still have things going into the water like heater cord, filter tube, potentially airline? All things they can climb.

Guppy_love

AC Members
Mar 13, 2020
Zombie thread!

Never seen it, but I've heard of them getting enough purchase on the silicone in the corners of the tank to climb up. I assume you'd also still have things going into the water like heater cord, filter tube, potentially airline? All things they can climb.
Good point... I apparently don’t need a heater as the breeder has them at room temp but the filter intake would be an issue...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store