are geophagus nice?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

NickH

AC Members
Oct 12, 1998
Morris Township, NJ
Nice? I guess. As long as the tank has a sandy substrate and the water PH is neutral to slightly acidic you should be good to go. These fish are very easy going and when they get large are impressive looking. Too bad they are slow growers. Most of these species can be added to large community setups.

SayersWeb

Aquarium & Pond Keeper
Dec 4, 2003
Sugar Land, Texas
sayersweb.com
They are very nice fish.... but they will constantly dig up your tank. As long as you don't mind this, they are great cichlids.

rich

AC Members
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
ive got two jurupari in a 55 and while they dont terrorize the other inhabitants the big one does have a a bit of a go at the smaller one. im actually going to set up another 55 soon to move the smaller guy into with a fleet of keyholes. they are neat fish though. i have a small size gravel substrate and they constantly pick it up and put it ontop of the driftwood pile. wierd spot to put the gravel.

andruboz

Senile Member
Jan 6, 2003
texas
home.satx.rr.com
i had a small female redhump [steindachneri?] and i brought home a bigger one and they went at it. i should have left them together as i think they would have sorted things out after a while. i put the smaller one in a bigger tank where it sorta wilted from the aggression of the tankmates. eventually it bloated and croaked.

i was a little concerned about adding another one but when i found a very stylishly humped male, i had to pick him up. the male and female get along fine. she is twice as big as he is. things i've read say the male can be quite aggro to the female when it comes breeding time, so a male with a few females is supposed to work. but as with humans, sometimes its hard for the females to get along. ;)

midiamin

MidiAmin
Jan 29, 2005
San Francisco
Nice? I guess. As long as the tank has a sandy substrate and the water PH is neutral to slightly acidic you should be good to go. These fish are very easy going and when they get large are impressive looking. Too bad they are slow growers. Most of these species can be added to large community setups.
Only grow as slow as your water changes. Because they are good size fish, they need plenty of water changes. The more the better.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Only grow as slow as your water changes. Because they are good size fish, they need plenty of water changes. The more the better.
Hey midiamin, you're a little slow. This thread is 12 years old, and the person you quoted hasn't been here in over 3 years.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
closed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com