Are most filters providing serious overkill when it comes to biological media?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
I really tend to wonder how much biological media a person needs in the average aquarium. I bought an Eheim 2215 last year and literally HALF the canister is Eheim Substrat Pro biological media. Before I set up that filter, I was using a Aquaclear 70, with just the provided bag of Fluval BioMax, and my Ammonia and Nitrites happily stayed at 0. I then tossed in some pot scrubbers because it's been ingrained in my head that more biological media is somehow better. But with readings of zero in both ammonia and nitrites, what's the point, unless you're trying to seed new media.

But we all know that the bacteria will only grow to a volume based on the amount of ammonia provided. So, adding more biological media should not cause a significant increase in bacterial biomass, unless you actually up the ammonia in the tank,my manually dosing or adding more fish.

I'm sure the new media will get seeded with new bacteria, but if the colony gets established, this will just "thin the herd" on your established media, as the media competes for food with the bacteria living on the new media.

So, seriously, does anyone really need a half a canister full of Substrat Pro on an Aquarium? Is that just overkill?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
No, I hear you on there's only so much beneficial bacteria you can grow in a given system. It's not based on filter media; more on fish &/or food load...& then on "biomedia" & water changes to reset the parameters.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
In effect, the more media allows more surface area for the bacteria to grow on. I am sure someplace out there are the calculations, with hefty assumptions, that would provide an answer.

Years ago, most filters didn't even really have or state, something was bio-media. They mainly promoted different physical media like floss in various densities to mechanically clear the water.

Your tank would still support bacteria on any surface in contact with the water that was adequately oxygenated. As filters developed and our understanding of bacteria grew, bio-media was a natural evolution to provide a more habitat area for them to concentrate.

I'm convinced you can have an excessive amount, but not that it would be detrimental to a tank, just your funds.

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
I think it's funny that we constantly have new and "better" biological media pop up. The newest one I know of is BioHome by Pondguru on YouTube. And for a while there i was considering upgrading because his YouTube vidoes make the look amazing.

But then I sat down and thought about it. I have a HOB. It has the Fluval provided Biomax and pot scrubbers. My Ammonia and Nitrite is 0. What is buying some expensive media (that actually wears out over time) going to get me over what I have now?

The upgraditis has to stop at some point. People now talk about bio-balls being "old school." Well if your tank is clean, and your fish are healthy, keep using the bio-balls. It's not like you ever see them.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Agreed on most points...but keep in mind that while yes, the biomedia provides more habitat than the bacteria can fill, space is one of the requirements for happy bacteria, just like food and oxygen. Plus, depending on the school of thought you are in, bacteria aren't the only or even the primary consumers of nitrogen wastes. Look at the "Microbial community & soil biology" section here: http://www.swisstropicals.com/library/aquarium-biofiltration/ (soil refers to the stuff at the bottom of water bodies too)

I know he's selling the poret foam, but it makes sense and is backed by science. We have to support more than just bacteria, and stop assuming that the microfauna is stationary. Providing additional biomedia means that as one location becomes overpopulated and dies off, the colony has already expanded into new areas, and different microfauna will move in to breakdown the remnants in the middle until it's clean and ready to be recolonized by nitrifiers. It's why I get frustrated when people insist their tank is cycled so clearly problems can't be related to nitrogen...'cycled' is not a permanent state! It's an ongoing process and reaching 0 ammonia/nitrite means things are in balance. Doesn't mean they will stay in balance forever. Providing more space for these processes to occur is not a bad thing and increases stability by eliminating competition for that particular resource.

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
That I can agree with. But I tend to wonder about people going for broke and setting up huge fluidized bed filters and other things when there is no need for such a thing, unless you have a massive aquarium with incredibly messy fish.

Like in my case. 55 gallon aquarium and half of an Eheim 2215 filled with Substrat Pro. That seems like way too much biomedia. Even with the requirements that there be enough space for new growth as old growth dies, I think that can be achieved with far less media than the average person uses. And monthly cleanings of your filter will dislodge old, dead bacteria and free up that space for new bacteria to grow.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Even expended high quality carbon still has more surface area for bacteria than man made products from what I read. Rinse it off every few months and never worry about it.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Much of it is clever marketing. There's money in those ceramic noodles!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I think the questions you should be considering is what are the costs? Is there a downside to providing too much biomedia?

Obviously, in some cases yes, there are real costs. Media is pricey, though mostly a one-time cost (excluding resins, but mostly those aren't biological). A bigger filter costs more than a smaller filter, but again, that's a one-time issue since the replacement parts are pretty much the same cost. In my mind, that's a wash. So, is there a down side? I can't really think of one. If you go nuts and provide 100 times what is 'needed', and have a filter that is much larger than the tank itself, well...you might be looked at oddly but there isn't a downside for the aquarium occupants in terms of filtration.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Why have biomedia at all? lots of filters don't.

Just be sure to not throw all the bacteria out at maintenance time.

Pretty sure the bacteria will happily live in your tank, on all the surfaces.

Of course, that would make seeding a new aquarium more difficult.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store