Are Oranda's carnivorous?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pauhn

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
WARNING: This message gets gory

I just found my plecostomous dead on the bottom of my tank. My oranda is just fine, but the plecostomous is literally cut in half. Sorry for the details, but all the organs including eyeballs are gone, all that remains is the tail, and bones.

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Don't think it was the oranda. If they were alone, is it possible that the plec got somehow caught up in filtration.

bunnysgal

Registered Member
Apr 15, 2010
Goldfish are pretty opportunistic. If something happened to it (i.e., it was already dead), I could totally see the Oranda taking advantage of the free buffet. I've seen some pretty horrible things with the goldfish where I work.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
If you ask me, it's impossible your oranda can cut something full of bony plates and serrated spines in half. Sure, they can eat carcasses especially when given the opportunity to do so. All fish can but not all fish are known to cannibalize one another especially by mutilation. Something else caused your pleco's death, not necessarily the oranda IMO.

ianab

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
New Zealand
Goldfish are Omnivores, they will eat anything edible. But it's unlikely they would attack a healthy Pleco.

Chances are the pleco died and the Goldfish ate the body.

Check your water temperature and how you are feeding the pleco. But long term they are not a good choice to live with fancy goldfish.

Ian

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store