Are Panda Corys normally this prolific?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bradleyp

AC Members
Feb 8, 2011
In 6 days, my pair of Panda Corys has spawned 4 times. The first clutch was only 7 but the next three were considerably larger. There were probably 30+ in the clutch laid last night judging by the spots on the glass where some had been eaten before I was able to rescue them.

5 of the first 7 are alive and well (2 didn't hatch) and so far today, another 4 from the second batch have hatched with another 8 or 9 looking like they will hatch before morning and I still have a couple dozen from the last two clutches that have another few days before they should hatch.

In watching the parents behavior this evening, I am expecting another clutch to be laid tonight. They are certainly quite the amorous couple. :lol:
So, the question is, will this continue at this frequency from now on or is this just a cyclical thing that will be repeated several weeks apart? I'm thinking I should separate them...the poor female looks exhausted.

Follow up questions: How long can I safely leave the newly hatched fry in a 2.5g with foam filter while I cycle a new larger tank for them to grow out in? How big should the grow out tank be? How long before they will be big enough to put into a community tank?

Sorry for the long post but I'm really hoping to successfully raise these since the parents seem determined to overrun me with younguns. :lol:

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
First of All, congrats on the babys. I think they won't breed like this for a long period of time, this is what my guppies did when they first started breeding, eventually they will breed 1-2 times every month. I have never had baby corys. I think they will be fine in a 2.5G for a week or 2 MAX. I would try to keep them in the 2.5G only for a week max or they will be too cramped up and might stunt their growth. Make sure too feed little amounts but very often; at least 4-6 times a day. You could probably move them into your community tank within 4-6 weeks. You might want to think about keeping 6-8 of the new babies, and selling the others too make money to upgrade any parts of your tank or to save up money to upgrade your whole tank or to buy expensive fish.

Good Luck:)
hope that helped

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Since you seem to have enough of a stock of future cories build up at this point, why not try leaving the next batch in with the parents? Worst the'll do is eat them...but possibly the duties of tending this batch will slow them down from their desperate desire to lay another one. In their little fishy minds, all their expected progeny have disappeared into the clutches of some mysterious predator, cuz they sure don't see them around any more. Biology may be compelling them to keep producing until they can see results.

and dibs on a few fry when you do get to selling... :)

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store