Are Power Pompact Lighting Fixtures good enough to have some basic corals

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jenn Cos

AC Members
Mar 11, 2008
New Jersey , Jersey shore
setting up new 110 gallon tank

I'm trying to avoid a cooler with having the hot lighting

Was told this lighting would work well enough for some

basic corals and grow algee , ect and be cool enough not to heat up my tank

Anyone use this light

Corallife 48 " aqualight w / 4 , 65 w strait pin base and 4 , 3/4 w lunar blue moon led lamps

other one seen was orbit 48 " 4 x 65 watt power compact orbit fixture

I was also told that some , not many corals can live and perfer little light , any one have these kind corals?

I also was told lots of supliments need to be added to the water for the corals to survive,
any input on that

thanks everyone

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I use a homemade 4x65w CF setup, two 12000K lights and two actinics, over my 55. Its good enough for mushrooms, zoas, most of the softer corals. I did however have to add fans in my canopy to keep the heat from going straight into the tank. The premade fixtures usually have fans in them anyway so that shouldn't be an issue.

Danyal

AC Members
May 20, 2007
a good t5HO fixtures will produce much more light and will run cooler but are going to be more expensice, pc are fine, i've got 2x65w over my 29g right now. things like mushrooms and ricordeas don't need much light as well as zoanthids and palythoids, while certain carnivorous corals, iirc sun corals are among them, don't really need light but have to be fed meaty foods and are a risk to fish. there plenty of corals you could keep.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
The lighting will be fine with corals like the ones shown above, as well as the recommendations given (with some exceptions).

As far as supplements go, there are really only three you should concern yourself with--even those are only if you actually need them. For example, if you keep some stony corals, you will have to make sure calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium are within proper ranges. This may or may not require a supplement, depending upon what corals you have and their calcifying demands.

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
I find a good Amino Acid and Phyto supplement does my corals the world of good as well as Iodide/Calcium/Alk/Mag. I have LPS under 1 x 20w T8 10000k white/1 x 20w T8 20000k Actinic/1 x 55w 50/50 PC all doing fantastic

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
I find a good Amino Acid and Phyto supplement does my corals the world of good as well as Iodide/Calcium/Alk/Mag. I have LPS under 1 x 20w T8 10000k white/1 x 20w T8 20000k Actinic/1 x 55w 50/50 PC all doing fantastic
Any chance of some pics Wayne??

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
I'll have some next week, borrowing the father in laws camera which is better than my usual mobile phone shots

Jenn Cos

AC Members
Mar 11, 2008
New Jersey , Jersey shore
I BOUGHT AN ORBIT

FOR THE LIGHT TO PENATRAT THE 30" TALL TANK I WAS TOLD TO BUY THIS LIGHT FIXTURE AND HAD TO UPGRADE MY ORIGINAL PLAN.... MORE MONEY BUT WILL WORK

I HAD READ THAT FOR LIVE ROCK YOU NEED AT LEAST 3 WATTS PER GALLON OF WATER
MY 110 TANK X 3 = AT LEAST 330 WATTS JUST FOR ROCK...
SO THE OTHER ORBIT WAS 4 LIGHTS AT 65 WATT BULBS WOULD NOT BE NOT STONG ENOUGH

SO I GOT

THE ORBIT EXTREME HAS 2 ; 130 WATT DUAL DAYLIGHT ( 10000 K & 6700K ) , AND 2 X 130 WATT DUAL ACTINIC ( 460 NM & 420 NM ) WITH 4 LUNAR LIGHTS TOTALING 520 WATTS HAS TWO FANS BUILT IN , SO HOPEFULLY NO CHILLER WILL BE NEEDED.

IM HOPING TO PUT A TANK TOGETHER WITH SOME LIVE ROCK , SOFT CORALS AND REEF FISH ,

IF I AM DOING CORALS AM I LIMITING MY FISH AMOUNT I CAN PUT IN MY TANK ?

I SEEN THAT A HAVE TO ADD A HEAVY CLEAN UP CREW , ARE THEY AS FUN TO WATCH AS THE FISH ?

WHAT ARE THE BEST FISH FOR ME A TO CONSIDER ?

IM EXCIETED TO BE GETTING ALL MY PARTS TOGETHER.

NEXT ITEM IM LOOKING TO GET A REAL GOOD PROTIEN SKIMMER , ANY SUGGESTIONS ?

ALSO I READ THAT YOU SHOULD CIRCULATE YOU TANK BY 10 TIMES PER GALLON..

MY 110 X 10 = 1100 GPH NEEDED ?

THE STORE SOLD ME A 700 GPH PUMP , SHOULD I TAKE IT BACK AN UPGRADE TO A LARGER ONE ,
IF I DO GET A LARGER ONE ...
WILL MY RETURN BE ABLE TO HANDLE IT... HOW DOSE THAT WORK ?

I READ I NEED TO CYCLE MORE WATER THAN THE 700 GPH . HOW DO I DO THIS IF I HAVE A PROCLEAR AQUATIC 150 WET DRY SYSTEM THAT DOES 600 GPH

DONT WANT IT TO PUMP UP TO MUCH WATER THAT THE OVER FLOW CAN HANDLE , BUT WANT ENOUGH CIRCULATION

CONFUSED...

THANKS PEOPLE :)

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
FOR THE LIGHT TO PENATRAT THE 30" TALL TANK I WAS TOLD TO BUY THIS LIGHT FIXTURE AND HAD TO UPGRADE MY ORIGINAL PLAN.... MORE MONEY BUT WILL WORK
For a 30" tank I'd have gone with metal halides.
I HAD READ THAT FOR LIVE ROCK YOU NEED AT LEAST 3 WATTS PER GALLON
The problem with the watts per gallon guideline is that a watt is essentially the amount of energy that the fixture uses, it isn't the amount of light it puts out.
IF I AM DOING CORALS AM I LIMITING MY FISH AMOUNT I CAN PUT IN MY TANK ?
You'll want to avoid fish that have a diet of any corals or inverts you want in the tank.
I SEEN THAT A HAVE TO ADD A HEAVY CLEAN UP CREW , ARE THEY AS FUN TO WATCH AS THE FISH ?
Not sure where you read you need a heavy clean up crew, although "heavy" is one of those subjective terms so one opinion of heavy could be average to another. You basically want a good clean up crew to deal with your tank's specific needs.
WHAT ARE THE BEST FISH FOR ME A TO CONSIDER ?
This is for a 110 right? What kind of inverts were you hoping to have? What kind of soft corals?
ALSO I READ THAT YOU SHOULD CIRCULATE YOU TANK BY 10 TIMES PER GALLON..MY 110 X 10 = 1100 GPH NEEDED ?
10x is the minimum typically suggested for a FO or FOWLR, 25x is minimum suggested for a reef.
THE STORE SOLD ME A 700 GPH PUMP , SHOULD I TAKE IT BACK AN UPGRADE TO A LARGER ONE ,
What kind of pump? Brand, model?
IF I DO GET A LARGER ONE ...WILL MY RETURN BE ABLE TO HANDLE IT... HOW DOSE THAT WORK ?
Hmm your return pump shouldn't be effected by the powerheads in your display. Is this a predrilled tank or are you using a HOB overflow box?
I READ I NEED TO CYCLE MORE WATER THAN THE 700 GPH . HOW DO I DO THIS IF I HAVE A PROCLEAR AQUATIC 150 WET DRY SYSTEM THAT DOES 600 GPH DONT WANT IT TO PUMP UP TO MUCH WATER THAT THE OVER FLOW CAN HANDLE , BUT WANT ENOUGH CIRCULATION
Now I'm confused, when you say cycle are you talking about the turnover in the tank or through the sump?

And psst, although I don't get bothered by caps because netiquette deems them as yelling..I do find posts in all caps difficult to read because it slows down your eye without the benefit of the lower and upper case letters (I could go into the research behind that, but I'll spare ya)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store