Are simple shop lights okay??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Yes, I have used them in the past with great success. And it also depend on what you are trying to accomplish with the lights.

Best wishes,
Wes

killacross

AC Members
Apr 13, 2010
ive used them with great success...then decided to buy 2-2bulb shoplights

gut them for the ballasts...and finally built my own hood....now Im considering upgrading again to make a suspended canopy over a bigger tank

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
If you want a compact design as much light as possible t5 high output is the way to go. However if you want to go a more economical route, then shoplights are a great option. If you only have 2 bulbs, you should stick with low light plants.

With 4 bulbs, you might be able to try moderate light plants. I would experiment with something cheap first, before going crazy with more demanding plants.

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
I have a shop light suspended over my tank, with T5's and my plants do fantastic (w/out CO2). The light is grey with a red center so it even matches my decor. We bought small linked, black chain and hung it from the ceiling. When I do a water change I just move the light up on the chain (on hooks of course!) to get it out of my way. Works like a charm! :)

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
I use them on all my tanks, plants grow very well and I only add Leaf Zone. Just get the 5600 lights not the 4100, the latter is a bit yellow and not as nice and bright.
55gal with one fixture that holds 2 bulbs, 4ft 80watts. And two fixtures with 4 bulbs total with 160watts, sand substrate and only add liquid Leaf Zone, plants grow huge and forest-like. You really do not need specialty items to grow plants, unless you pick the few plants that actually need it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store