Argh! How do I start EHEIM 2215?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

reziztor

I'm the man in the box
Oct 20, 2005
Korea
I got my EHEIM 2215 cannister filter at a ghetto place without any instructions (or suction cups!). I was able to build it all based on the box pictures... But how the heck do I start the thing!!!??? There is no pump and I assume I cant plug it in with no water... What the heccckkk...

reziztor

I'm the man in the box
Oct 20, 2005
Korea
I read on the internet to start sucking on the return hose... Been doing that for 30 minutes with nothing!

beblondie

grand high exhalted poobah
Mar 25, 2005
I fill the intake hose with water till it won't take anymore then fill the outflow hose the same way and turn on the filter works for me anywyas-Anne

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
fill the cannister up to the top with water before you put the top on. then when you put the top on, do it in the sink since it will overflow. make sure the spray bar is underwater and plug it in. it should start right up.

MidnightPyro

AC Members
Jun 21, 2005
What I just did is suck on the inttake tube, into the siphon started from the aquarium. As soon as the siphon started, I waited until it filled the canister all the way up, and then turned the power on. Make sure the canister is below the water line, and use the same siphoning technique from the intake that you'd use if you were gravel vaccing :)

patoloco

De seguro no sabes lo que dice aqu
Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
MidnightPyro said:
Make sure the canister is below the water line
This is what I was going to write. Canisters won't do well if they are at the same lavel as the tank. The best place to run a canister in under the tank, at floor level.

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
reziztor said:
I read on the internet to start sucking on the return hose... Been doing that for 30 minutes with nothing!
Check to see all valves are open.

It is actually easiest to start with the canister with no water in it, and with all hoses empty as well. Be sure that the input and output lines are connected correctly, input goes in the bottom of the unit, output is off the top of the canister. Be sure all hoses are on correctly.

It is easiest to start with the output spray bar above the level of the water in the fish tank, as air needs to escape there and though it can if the spray bar is under water, it can make a mess. (If the output is very far under water it may not be possible for the air to escape, so if the spray bar is on the gravel, you will have problems and may need to do another way.)

Be sure all valves are open, then connect the input to the canister. Have the output line ready. Suck on the exit from the canister, at the valve connection, one pull and you should hear water starting to fill the canister. You have a few minutes to get that output line connected correctly -- have a towel ready in case you have trouble!

Be certain before you start that there are no loops in the hoses, places where a bubble can be trapped, you probably need to trim the hoses to give you just enough to pull the canister out from below the tank, no more. Any bubble in the input line will stop the siphon losing the prime.

hurricanejedi

AC Members
Apr 4, 2005
Raleigh, NC
www.flowerspride.com

reziztor

I'm the man in the box
Oct 20, 2005
Korea
Ah yeah, thanks for the help. I left one of the double taps in the wrong position *tee hee*

All of my canister filters have had pressure pumps to start them up... Call me Mr. Fancy Pants, but thats the only way to go.

patoloco

De seguro no sabes lo que dice aqu
Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
reziztor said:
Ah yeah, thanks for the help. I left one of the double taps in the wrong position *tee hee*

All of my canister filters have had pressure pumps to start them up... Call me Mr. Fancy Pants, but thats the only way to go.
That's why I'm in love with the Cascade series, from Penplax. These canister have a button-pump you press 4 times and it sucks the water by itself and fills the tank and the majoroty of the return hose. It also has a check valve that won't let water return. After the quick pumping, waut a minute and plug it in. Perfect all the time, except when i tried to set ip at tank level.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store