Asian stone catfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DeanTheFish

AC Members
Mar 5, 2018
hello i plan on setting up a ten gallon does i plan on getting some Asian stone catfish for it does anyone know a good tank mate for Asian stone catfish in a ten gallon and how many of each fish can i get

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I had 2 before in a small tank and kept them to themselves. One of the most boring fish I have ever kept. Most of the time I could not find them, and when I did I thought they were dead. Mine only ate frozen foods, and did not eat with the lights on. Good Luck.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I was tempted by these tiny cats more than once but tanker's experience makes me glad I didn't get them. Maybe in a larger group...& maybe with tiny rasboras or similar fish.

Really good nocturnal hiding fish, no matter how cute, are disappointing unless you are an insomniac & have moon lighting.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Give them sand. They bury themselves and will spend the days with just their noses sticking out. They are nocturnal, and can be predatory on smaller fish. I'd go with at least 6, as they are social and hang out together. Pair with something that will be active during the day, so a medium sized tetra or smaller livebearer--they will happily eat the unwary fry for you.

Also note that they have venomous spines.

DirtyDan

AC Members
May 9, 2020
I have three in my 20 gallon planted tank with cherry barbs, Colombian tetras, assorted guppies, sparkling gouramis, porthole catfish, whiptail catfish, and a couple others. I typically only see one of them at a time but they hang out in the same spot every day, so if you're able to find them it's pretty cool. I don't mind not seeing them all the time because I have so many other fish so it's really cool when I actually do see them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store