At what size do bristle nose plecos generally start breeding?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mandy12785

Registered Member
Jun 9, 2013
I have a pair of bristle nose plecos that are not sexed. bigger one it a little bigger than 4 inches and smaller one is about 3 inches. I have had salt and freshwater tanks for years but these are my first plecos. I have had them for about a year now. I have been watching the bigger one for a few weeks and she seems to be getting bigger and bigger in her abdomen. I am thinking its a she and she is gravid but I don't know if she is old or big enough?

She is currently in a 20 gallon freshwater planted tank with driftwood and c02. There is a couple other small fish in the tank including 2 male guppies and 2 small female mollies and 2 mosquito raspboras (spelling?). Whats the best way to rear babies if she is? Should I move her to a bare bottom 10 gallon with a hide and a couple pieces of drift wood and a sponge filter? and when should I move her, and do I send the male with her? Assuming the smaller one is a male if she is gravid since I have had her for a year?

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
My male BN was showing bristles by 3 inches. I don't know if that's atypical (I doubt it), but if your BNs aren't showing a lot of bristles by 4 inches, they're very likely to be female. I know it doesn't address your question, but if you have 2 females, there won't be breeding to worry about.

For what it's worth, your rasboras will be happier with a larger grouping.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Do you have a cave or 2 in the tank ? If there is, a male will hang out in the entrance of the cave. I agree, by that size I think that if you had a male, he would be showing bristles.

ManEatingShrimp

AC Members
Jan 28, 2012
I had my bn plecos for about 6 months when they bred. I had gotten them from petco when they were about 1.5". The male will guard and fertilize the eggs in his cave after the female lays them. I did nothing and ended up with 50+ fry after multiple batches of eggs were layed in my community tank. In a qt tank it might be good to remove the male after the eggs hatch.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
btw, with my BN's the Males tend to be larger than females and will start showing bristles at around 3"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store