Attempting to Breed Amano Shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Do you think I will have success is raising baby Amano shrimp?

• Total voters

Jag1980

Got Plants?
Aug 18, 2008
Marysville, Wa

stezatois

AC Members
May 11, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
Do let us know how you get on, and what you did if it works out. I have been thinking of trying the same thing. I bought my salt and stuff ready to make a tank a salty tank if any of my low order shrimp berry up for me. I have 3 kinds and im going to attempt to hatch out if i can too.

Jag1980

Got Plants?
Aug 18, 2008
Marysville, Wa
Well for some reason the eggs are turning orange and there is less eggs then what there was before.. Any know what this color change means?

I think maybe that the eggs are dying off and will not hatch. :confused:

Notice the egg laying on the substrate in the picture...

Last edited:

NYCguppydude

Guppy Addict
Dec 14, 2008
NYC,NY,10034
wildguppystore.com
Real Name
Andy G.
Shrimp eggs can be fertile yet not be the typical "green berries" most think they should be. I have seen yellow eggs that I too thought were "infertile" Just to later see tiny eyes peering out from the underbelly of a Ghost Shrimp I bred. I have now gotten into RCS and done a lot of research on breeding them. The eggs CAN be any color. They(the female shrimp) will only get "saddled" when there is sperm deposited. So any eggs attached to her belly should be fertile. As to whether they will hatch is a question of your water parameters.

pacalan

AC Members
May 11, 2006
midwest
The eggs turning orange is interesting. I've had pretty good luck with breeding the amano, and I've never seen the eggs display that color before. Typically, they lighten up to a beige color before hatching. I almost wonder if they aren't ferrtile.

Best of luck with your endeavors though. It's a pretty fun process. I enjoy watching the larvae grow and develop. It's absolutely amazing how many offspring can come out of one batch of eggs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store