Aug.19.03 Flowerhorn

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
MASS, sorry about the other thread...I'll just keep my mouth shut, b/c it looks like you know what you're talking about...

I never knew that misrepresenting Trimacs was big business...me and my anti-hybrid prejudices!

TTman

AC Members
May 20, 2001
lols, I've experienced this. LPS only care about selling, they could care less what it is. at a particular LPS, I inquired about a trimac/FH looking fish. I asked if it was a FH, they answered it was a trimac. then I left... later on my friend also inquired about the exact same fish, which they then replied it as a FH. lols. they'll say anything to sell.

Originally posted by MASSMAN2
No doubt,

I blame the fish stores who sale Trimacs as Flowerhorns!! THey are misleading some fish hobbyists and over charging I would assume!!

mickey

AC Members
Mar 25, 2003
Ireland
www.setbb.com
Originally posted by peifc
I totally agreed with you, Mass. Sometimes I'm the one educating the fish store clerks...not the other way around...when it comes to cichlid. Now I just stop buying any cichlid from the store. I only get cichlids from Jeff now. Beside, there are no LFS here who have the cichlids that Jeff has.
I wish there was a Jeff over here in ireland.
Cheers.

goldfries

AC Members
Oct 11, 2001
Malaysia
www.briancyc.com
hi guys and gals,

this fish is nice but it looks like a flowerhorn and at the same time a trimac. yes hybrid = confusion.

being a person who's from a country where flowerhorn originates from, imagine how many flowerhorns i've witnessed so far? if this fella was on sale i don't think he'd fetch as high a price as what i've seen around here. i've seen some that fetch 38,888 MYR (that's about 10k USD).

yes.... shops here usually have quite a number for 5" - 12" units and countless of many other babies.

in short : it's mass production.

try my friend's website, he's got pictures of actual high-quality flowerhorns.
http://www.eflowerhorn.com/

The Dude

AC Members
Sep 2, 2003
www.fogartyart.com
looks like a trimac to me

That beautiful fish looks exactly like the Trimac on page 159 of "American Cichlids II: Large Cichlids" by Dr. Wolfgang Staeck and Horst Linke...same shape, same color, same markings...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store