Australian Desert Gobies eggs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
Gee he looked kinda upset,lol:) Looks like they have plenty of personality.

happypoet

AC Members
Jul 9, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Aaron
All of the eggs have hatched, and I have 11 healthy, hopping little fry. There were over 20 eggs, so I'm not sure what happened there. They're eating copepods and frozen bbs. I have microworm and vinegar eel cultures on the way.
The other clutch dwindled every night. I think he knocked them off frequently while fanning or turning around. I took out the few remaining (just 4 or 5) to hatch myself since he wasn't doing so well with this group.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It's great they're eating already. Too bad about the second batch, I always think fish get better at breeding with practice but maybe not. Maybe try a few slightly bigger tubes?

happypoet

AC Members
Jul 9, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Aaron
Thanks! Not terribly long. I think they're old enough to sex and sell within 6 weeks or so. I lost 2 of the 11, but the other 9 are doing fine and are eating and growing. The second clutch didn't do great with the dad, but I did manage to save 4, which are getting ready to hatch. And, of course, there's a third clutch now. It's by far the biggest of the the three. Same father. I hope he goes back to the care he gave the first group. This is a 1" PVC pipe as opposed to the 3/4", so hopefully these won't get knocked down.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I didn't want to play up the short life expectancy in a negative way. It can be a fast & furious way to enjoy our fish. Sometimes shorter can be nice too, even without breeding. Many of my favs (loaches) can & should live more than 8 years (clowns more 20). That's sometimes more commitment than many people are willing or able to to give. I try be be a "forever home" to my fish, rehoming can be a real downer for me & my spoiled pets.

Have you given any thought to trying a brackish/marine grow out for some them to see (personally) if there is a big difference in growth +/or survival rates? It'd be an interesting experiment if you have time, resources & inclination . I know I would not but I'd like to know (go! Aaron, it's all good!).

happypoet

AC Members
Jul 9, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Aaron
Yep, it's very interesting that they grow and breed so quickly, but the short life span is rough with this species because, like your loaches, they have individual personalities and are gregarious, as opposed to Killis.

I'm not sure about trying to raise them in brackish. If these groups fail, I'll definitely start trying different things, but I think that if I can raise them successfully in fresh they'd be easier to find homes for, as most people don't want to do brackish and I think the "throw some salt in there with them" angle is part of what makes these neat little fish less popular than they deserve to be. We'll see!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store