Auto Feeders?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sledge

AC Members
Feb 3, 2004
Visit site
I'm going to be on vacation for several weeks and was wondering about suggestions for automatic feeders.

I was looking for something that could be set to feed every other day and resists clumping; however, I have not found much that looks very good during my investigation.

The other issue is that all the feeders seem to clip to the side of the tank. This would mean I would have to leave the tank lid open while I was gone. However, I have some swordtails that are avid jumpers and I'm afraid that if there are any openings I'm going to come home to dead fish.

Any suggestions?

sledge

AC Members
Feb 3, 2004
Visit site
I'll be gone for two weeks. I've left them for a week before with no problem, but I'm not sure that two weeks isn't pushing it.

greenterrorrr

AC Members
Jul 6, 2001
If you have someone that can look in on them a few times then you can pre measure the food into little containers for them, avoids overfeeding. Otherwise I have no experiance with automatic feeders.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
Eheim Air Feeder is very good. Personally, though, unless you have fry or very sensitive fish, two weeks without food should pose no problems. I've done it many times and haven't lost a fish. In fact, the water stays cleaner and the fish look great when I've returned.

If you do go with the auto feeder, be sure to give it a week's trial BEFORE you leave.

Jim

got_nailed

AC Members
Mar 26, 2004
roanoke, va
Visit site
This is only a thought… What if you turned the amount of lighting up for about one more hour a day or less to build up some algae? If the fish are hungry they will eat it.

Prometheus

Luke 22:35-36
Nov 3, 2003
NW Indiana
Visit site
I got a battery powered filter that 'rotates' like a clock. Every 12 hours it drops food...

I just set it to drop the smallest amount of food possible (error on the side of caution) and left for 20 days....

No problems. But they were hungry as all get out once I got back ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store