[B]help with whitespot[/B]

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tbj

AC Members
Jul 18, 2005
Ohio
help with whitespot

:help: I have 2 clown loaches and both of them have whitespot. I have been treating them with a medication for 10 days and nothing is happening and no other fish have it. My water conditions are normal. could you please :help:

Last edited:

Darkblade48

AC Members
Nov 24, 2004
I think this is in the wrong place :confused:

What kind of medication are you using? What are the active ingredients? Have you quarantined the two Clown Loaches? What's your temperature set at?

tbj

AC Members
Jul 18, 2005
Ohio
i am using rid ich. the active ingredient is malachite green. the temprature is at 82 F. i have not quarantined the loaches because I want to treat the whole tank at once

FishFreak101

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
never use rid*ick it doesn't work use quick cure or daves page on treating ick.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
I think this is in the wrong place
I agree, maybe one of the mods will zip it over to GFW for us.

never use rid*ick it doesn't work use quick cure or daves page on treating ick.
Actually Rid ICH uses malechite Green which is very effective on ich. there are however downsides to meds vs salt. MEds at half dose are seldom very effective, and almost all ich med labels reccomend half doses for sensative fish. Additionally, meds are effected by the level of organics in the tank, and therefore the needed dose becomes a crap shoot in all but the cleanest of tanks. Combine the crap shoot with half doses and the ich sits back and laughs at your efforts. This would apply to rid ich or virtually any other parasite med available. With hardy fish in a reasonably clean tank, meds will work. They will work no better than salt, and salt is easier on any fish so I generally never reccomend or use meds. This does not make them inneffective, just less than desireable for me.
Dave

Kasakato

SatCan
Sep 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada
If you already started the meds, stay on them. Just use them for the full period marked on the bottle. But be sure to remove any carbon from the filter that may take out the meds.

If that doesn't do it then you should use salt and heat. First put some carbon into the filter to remove the meds. Then use the slat and heat method as linked above.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store