[b]what"s Wrong With My Plants??[/b

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

penguinfish

Penguins will one day rule...
Dec 18, 2005
New Zealand
Hi everyone.
I am needing some advice.
Nearly all my broad leaved plants are getting dark brown algae on their leaves (the edges).It is like I said on the egdes but sometimes it starts to cover the whole leaf. Some leaves also start screwing up (like a deformation). They look really horrible and I REALLY want to solve this problem. Thanks guys.

p.s: I am using flourish fert. every week and an additional florish iron fert.
Don't know why my plants act this way even with fert. :huh:

Last edited:

twig

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
Sounds like brush algae ... Maybe due to large amounts of iron?

This grows in feathery black tufts 2-3 mm long and tends to collect on slower growing leaves like Anubias, some Echinodorus and other wide leaf plants. Also tends to collect on mechanical equipment. This is actually a red alga in the genus Audouinella (other names: Acrochaetium, Rhodochorton, Chantransia). It cannot easily be removed mechanically. Remove and discard the affected leaves. Equipment can be soaked in a 25% bleach solution, then scrubbed to remove the dead algae. Siamese Algae Eaters (Crossocheilus siamensis) are known to eat this algae and can keep it in check. A more drastic measure is treatment with copper.

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Algae/red-algae.html <--

rrkss

Biology is Fun
Dec 2, 2005
Its not the iron that is causing the problems. Can you post a photo, I am pretty sure that it BBA. Sounds very similar to what used to happen in my tank. When I increased CO2, increased Nitrates, Phosphates, Flourish and Iron Dosages this algae turned red and started to die.

FYI: My tank is 29 gallons and gets 1 mL of Flourish Iron daily. This has not induced any new algae.

penguinfish

Penguins will one day rule...
Dec 18, 2005
New Zealand
I will try to get a photo asap. I do seem to get it on the plants u guys mentioned...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store