Baby RCS help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tryingmybest

AC Members
Sep 13, 2020
Hi, my dad just surprised me by getting 3 BABY RCS and 1 baby amano, I had asked him for shrimp but I wasn't expecting babies (I planned on keeping them in my betta tank) but I think any fish would eat a shrimp that small, I set up and emergency "tank" around 1.5g some substrate one plant I salvaged from my betta tank and some salvinia, any advice for feeding?? I'm stumped I don't have ANY algae or algae wafers. Also do I need to put in a heater, light, filter...etc?? Please help I love them to bits and don't want any fatalities on my first shrimp :(

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
You don't need a filter or heater. The plants need light though... they are not fuzzy eaters any fish food you put in there will be fine.

Tryingmybest

AC Members
Sep 13, 2020
Thanks! I'll try sprinkling in some flake food also, is keeping them near a sunny window enough? Just untill I get another light

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Fo food, if you gave am old filter sponge that you can squeeze into the shrimp tank,that will provide infusoria and stuff, or I would really try to get something specific for baby shrimp.

You should be fine without a heater so long as the room temperature is consistently in the 60-75°F range.

Light from a window should be fi e for plants, so long as there isn't so much to cause algae. But you can move a small tank around to control how much light there is.

Finally, I wouldn't keep cherry shrimp with a betta.. the temperature they need is not really the same, and bettas are pretty likely to have shrimp as food, not as friends.

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Finally, I wouldn't keep cherry shrimp with a betta.. the temperature they need is not really the same, and bettas are pretty likely to have shrimp as food, not as friends.
I wouldn't even keep even shrimp the size of an adult amano shrimp. I wouldn't keep anything with a betta.

Tryingmybest

AC Members
Sep 13, 2020
Fo food, if you gave am old filter sponge that you can squeeze into the shrimp tank,that will provide infusoria and stuff, or I would really try to get something specific for baby shrimp.

You should be fine without a heater so long as the room temperature is consistently in the 60-75°F range.

Light from a window should be fi e for plants, so long as there isn't so much to cause algae. But you can move a small tank around to control how much light there is.

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I don't have any old filter sponge all of mine are fairly new with barely any build up (I'm new to the hobby please bare with me ^^; I think the shrimp are getting along fine in their small tank (I saw one of them shedding,, sooo cute), and the sun that hits the tank from the window isn't very strong atm. My room temperature is at 27c° bc Its quite a big living room. Also I read that it really varies on the temperament of the betta? I think mine has a calm personality as he swims around then rests frequently (I doubt he's sick all of his tank perameters are ok and he's eating just fine) it seriously gives me a scare when he randomly takes a nap on the floor. Back to my point, my tank has a lot of hiding spaces for a shrimp that a betta can't get to. But I'm guessing you know better than me so correct me if I'm wrong ^^;

Tryingmybest

AC Members
Sep 13, 2020
And also, yes, you will need a filter just like for bettas and other fish. Test water parameters every day for ammonia and nitrite and nitrate and if ammonia or nitrite are off do a 75% water change. Keep nitrates below 20 ppm.
Thanks! Will do

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I don't have any old filter sponge all of mine are fairly new with barely any build up (I'm new to the hobby please bare with me ^^; I think the shrimp are getting along fine in their small tank (I saw one of them shedding,, sooo cute), and the sun that hits the tank from the window isn't very strong atm. My room temperature is at 27c° bc Its quite a big living room. Also I read that it really varies on the temperament of the betta? I think mine has a calm personality as he swims around then rests frequently (I doubt he's sick all of his tank perameters are ok and he's eating just fine) it seriously gives me a scare when he randomly takes a nap on the floor. Back to my point, my tank has a lot of hiding spaces for a shrimp that a betta can't get to. But I'm guessing you know better than me so correct me if I'm wrong ^^;
I keep shrimp, I keep bettas, tanks that bettas go into no longer have any shrimp.

Some bettas are ok, some are ok for a while, they will eat small insects and crustaceans in the wild. So the only way to be sure is to try and for the betta to eat the shrimp.

Irs your choice in the end. Just not one I would take with shrimp I valued

Tryingmybest

AC Members
Sep 13, 2020
I keep shrimp, I keep bettas, tanks that bettas go into no longer have any shrimp.

Some bettas are ok, some are ok for a while, they will eat small insects and crustaceans in the wild. So the only way to be sure is to try and for the betta to eat the shrimp.

Irs your choice in the end. Just not one I would take with shrimp I valued
You're completely right, I did a TON of research before even asking for shrimp but no amount of research beats experience, it's definitely a gamble putting shrimp with a betta. Fingers crossed he won't eat my crustacean babies ☹. ofc I'm not putting them in now they're much too small, just wishing for the best from now ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store