Baby tiger tiger Oscar not eating his pellets.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mike4155

AC Members
Feb 15, 2011
Miami
Real Name
Mike "Captain America" Houston
Ok, I started feeding him wafers at first, the tetra color enhancer ones until I bought him the Hakiri Gold pellets. Which I was told were better for him but now he just chews them for a little and then spits them out. But when I feed him a couple wafers he gobbles them down like nothing. Should I just keep feeding him the wafers or is there a way to kind of ween him off the wafers?

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
Oscars can sometimes be fussy about what food they will eat. I have had mine for 2 years and he has never refused ANY food.(many different kinds of pellets in 2 years) Then I switched to New Life Spectrum and he will not eat it. I even offered nothing else for 5 days and he still wouldn't eat it. I tried soaking in garlic juice and NO. I would say keep trying and good luck.

Mike4155

AC Members
Feb 15, 2011
Miami
Real Name
But is it bad that he does not eat the "special" pellets?

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
But is it bad that he does not eat the "special" pellets?
I don't think so. Just try to feed many different foods. My Oscar really enjoys live crickets and red worms.

Mike4155

AC Members
Feb 15, 2011
Miami
Real Name
See thats what im worried about he's to small to eat any of the live stuff yet. Any other alternatives?

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
How big is he? I bet he is big enough to eat small crickets or you could cut the worm up for him. Frozen/freeze dried blood worms,brine shrimp and krill.

Mike4155

AC Members
Feb 15, 2011
Miami
Real Name
He's about 3 inches. I bought some freeze dried worms for him yesterday and some live shrimp, he went through both of them like nothing! I got the shrimp thinking they were to big for him to eat and would keep my sand clean until he was big enough to gobble them up buuuut I was wrong. He ate 4 out of the ten I bought. Kinda proud of him. Lmao living up to his name, Darth Maul.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
He's about 3 inches. I bought some freeze dried worms for him yesterday and some live shrimp, he went through both of them like nothing! I got the shrimp thinking they were to big for him to eat and would keep my sand clean until he was big enough to gobble them up buuuut I was wrong. He ate 4 out of the ten I bought. Kinda proud of him. Lmao living up to his name, Darth Maul.
What kind of shrimp? Ghost?

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
Feeding

The big thing with feeding oscars ( and most cichlids in general) is to keep the diet as varied as possible.

When it comes to pellets. I keep an old one gallon ice cream bucket with at least 4 (usually more) different brands of pellets mixed inside.
I just buy a different brand or two each time I am at the store and mix them into the bucket.
This way I know that the diet is varied.

I do this with both large and medium pellets in one bucket and small pellets in another for all the different sized fish.
I only give the frozen stuff as a treat to make sure that he stays interested in the pellets.

I do this with all my cichlids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store