Back in the hobby

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

StereoKills

Hey intern, get me a Campari.
Sep 10, 2007
Ithaca, NY
It's been over a year since all of my tanks came down in order to move into our first house. Life has kept me very busy, but I am finally ready to get my 55 back up and running. I'm still in the beginning stages of planning, but I was thinking of an Amazon theme with 1-2 pairs of Angelfish, a school of something (a type of tetra maybe?), and a small school of coryadoras. Probably lightly to moderately planted with low-med light plants.

I need to get a new filter and was looking at the Eheim Classic 2213, any thoughts on that particular filter? I'll be honest, I was looking at the cheapest canister filter for the job.

Also debating on what substrate to use. I've seen many Amazonian themed tanks with sand which I love the look of, but I had a pretty bad experience using throughly washed play sand in the past. Is there a better type of sand to use? Also considering eco complete or aquasoil amazonia (loved using eco complete, probably my favorite!) but I'd probably be looking at $75 or so just for that (ouch!)

Anyway, I'm excited to get back into the hobby and would love to hear any suggestions you may have!

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
check craigslist for filters!
I got my Magnum 350 for 40$, check out old posts and don't hesitate to email. Most people on CL don't know what a canister filter is so they don't get snatched up very quickly. Best of luck :)

StereoKills

Sep 10, 2007
Ithaca, NY
I did check CL, unfortunately there's not much aquarium supplies within an hours drive right now, just some 10g supplies. I've got plenty of those already :)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Welcome back! I use pool filter sand in several tanks. It comes in different grades but mostly whitish or tan ~$10/50lbs. Ask to look at it, some looks kinda sharp to me. PFS should be silica or quartz sand, nothing else. All uniform size, it doesn't compact or have "mystery bits" like most play sand. It's cleaner too but rinse in a bucket or large rubber maid with a hose. 1 bag should be plenty. I use root tabs with swords & crypts.

I haven't tried Aquasoil but if you think eco is expensive...:22_yikes: I've heard it can cause high ammonia for a couple months (unless it's a different ADA soil)

I have Rena XP3 plus an AC 70 on 55-75g tanks. Check out the sun sun filter threads in DIY equipment forum. Cheap, ~$50 for a cannister might be worth a read.

StereoKills

Sep 10, 2007
Ithaca, NY
Thanks for the point to the sunsun filter thread, I checked it out and looks like people have had good experiences with them in addition to the great price. Top of my hit list now!

One of the problems I had with play sand was the odd "gray" areas that would appear under the surface. Any problems like that with pool filter sand?

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
No. Pool filter sand doesn't compact and that goes a long way in preventing dead spots. I have 3"-3.5" of PFS in one of my tanks without any problems what so ever. You can crawl under my stand and shine a flashlight on the bottom of the tank and there are zero gray areas.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
The only dark spots I find are dissolving root tabs, surprised me the first time I vac'd 1 LOL. That's another thing, you can vacuum it with a small gravel vac. I can even use my Python carefully, my suction's not great. Just be ready to crimp the hose if the sand gets to the top of the vac. Best with ~2 inches for deep vacuuming, shallow vac for more. Very tiny "dirt" can into the top layer, like shrimp poo.

StereoKills

Sep 10, 2007
Ithaca, NY
Gotcha, thanks for the info! I think there's a pool supply store somewhere near here, I'll have to call and see if they carry it. Good to know I can use my Python on it too, I wasn't able to do that too well with play sand. How much should I look to get for ~3" coverage?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store