Back into the planted world! Regulator & Diffusion Recs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Octavarium

Ambassador to Cephalopods
Mar 2, 2005
East Haven, CT
Real Name
Erik
Hey guys, just got back into aquariums after moving many times with my now ex girlfriend over the past 5 years. I finally got settled now and have a nice 60g planted going (and tiny 10g and 5g desktop). I have my old coralife power compact 6700 K light PLUS LEDs that came with my Marineland tank. Have my old 5 lb. canister I am going to have filled at local shop, but old regulator is gone, so...

Thinking of diffusing?
a.) Into small hole I drill in filter inlet, I did this in past with same Filstar XP L filter, out via the spray bar. Never had issue.
b.) Trying one of those inline reactors, which cost money obviously. Is it worth the extra cost or should I just do my old way?
c.) Any other mode of diffusing you really think I should try?

And what regulator is ideal for price?
- I will attach the solenoid to an electrical outlet timer which also will have my lights connected so they go on/off together. I was looking at Aqua tech and some from Azoo, basically just want good needle valve w no issues of leaks. I'm getting cold feet on models I mentioned because of bad reviews, but maybe the bad reviews are few and far in between...hard to tell since most people only post reviews when BAD things happen lol.

So since I have been away from hobby so many years, please just give me a basic reality check guys. Sorry for long post but this is really the only question I have and no local shop can give me any half decent answers, thanks and its good to be back!!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I had an Azoo regulator that failed when reconnecting one time, we have an aquatek regulator without big problems.

note both are single stage, so you will risk end of tank dump if you let the amount of CO2 fall too much,

Personally, I'd pay more for a GLA or CO2 Art regulator, they're much better and less risky; I haven't heard anything bad about either except for cost with GLA, or shipping with CO2Art

I wouldn't running gas to the inlet of a filter, you'll risk an air lock, where water won't be pumped through. You can build a rex grigg type diffuser out of some PVC and bioballs for not too much money, or if you can handle the look you could try an inline diffuser too.. it's all personal choice.

Reactions: Octavarium

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
You can also (if you have a regulator) run the CO2 to an airstone., but a glass diffuser is cheap.

Also, why would you want the CO2 to run "into" your filter, would it not be better on the output side?

Octavarium

Mar 2, 2005
East Haven, CT
Real Name
Erik
Because the chopping of the impeller lead to ultra fine bubbles, then it comes out via the output. It has higher efficiency than airstone, bells, or glass diffusers from what I've read on various sites, but as dougall said the air pocket is only thing that worries me, and knowing my luck I will get it lol. Thing is its free, just run into the intake, and boom, done. BUT, on the output side, as your thinking, yes an inline reactor is supposed to have the highest diffusion rate, but I have never personally used one, plus its money for an extra device I need, and I wonder how much better it is, anyone who has one please comment as opposed to the other ways of diffusing.

Thanks dougall for those two recommendations, see I wouldn't of looked at them if I didn't get your advice! Green leaf aquariums is a site I never have seen, but man they look very nice and well built...think I'll order one of their regulators in next few days.

Octavarium

Mar 2, 2005
East Haven, CT
Real Name
Erik
Great, the place a few towns over that always refilled my 5 lb. CO2 tank nice and easy for 17$ in the past....HAS BEEN CLOSED FOR OVER YEAR. Called ton of airgas places and none open now either, guess I have to wait till Monday for that part too. If anyone is near Southern CT (New Haven county) feel free to chime in for a CO2 refill place you know of.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I've only used an inline reacter but it worked quite well. Both that I used were DIY and my current one has a built in heater which I LOVE. No bubbles in the tank (which was huge to me) and my CO2 lasted a long time due to the efficiency of the reactor (when the tank wasn't mysteriously emptying!).

Look for fire extinguisher places for fills.

I actually have a few regulators around here somewhere and my old reactor (only stopped using it cause my friend gave me her's with the built in heater). You looking for an all in one regulator though? With the drop checker, needle valve and solenoid included.

Octavarium

Mar 2, 2005
East Haven, CT
Real Name
Erik
Actually I just got a fluval bubble counter and inline check valve seperate and ordered a hydroponics CO2 regulator from Amazon for only 70! Comes w tubing and all high ratings, even though it was marketed for plants, many people used it w great success for aquariums. Mine just came in today, so I have everything but my way of diffusing yet. No stores carried an inline diffuser, so if I go that way...I guess I'll have to order online again or try a DIY one, but I am trying to save money although that doesn't work all the time lol

EDIT... I found a place called AirGas which is more of a welding supply shop, one town over like old place and did 5 lb. fill this morning for 17$, so I lucked out with this again...even though I think I'll be going here every 3 months if I remember how often I emptied w my old tank and bubble rate

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If you got the aquaponics one, that comes with a flow gauge... be sure to not try to use the flow guage for an aquarium, use a bubble counter.

That and watch your pressure, you want/need to avoid EOTD

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I vote your DIY one, like dougall linked to. I am bias though as I love DIY but they really are so easy to make.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store