bacon5's 10 Gallon Emersed Set Up

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bacon5

AC Members
Dec 24, 2009
Hey everybody, I recently decided to set up an emersed aquarium. It is just a standard 10 gallon with 3-4 inches of water with saran rap covering to keep the humidity. Also for lighting it is a Power Compact Fluorescent light bulb. The plants are planted in old ADA aquasoil in terra cotta pots. I hope to keep a journal to keep track of the growth of these plants and to get advice and suggestions :D! Here is the list of plants and pics:

Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo'
Cryptocoryne (Wendtii?)
HC
UG
Eleocharis 'Belem'
Ludwigia Atlantis
Nesea Triflora

Pics as of 12/29/2014 (around a week after planting):

FTS

Ovreahead

Belem

Crypt. (Wendtii?) and Lindernia variegated

UG Strands

Ludwigia Atlantis and HC

Monte Carlo

Nesea Triflora and Hydroctle Species

Thanks for looking :D

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Cool!

Just curious on the plastic-wrap though.. Doesn't that prevent CO2 - O2 exchange?

bacon5

AC Members
Dec 24, 2009
Hmm... good point I hadn't really thought about that. I use it to keep the humidity up, but I do open it and "air" it once or twice a day when I spray. Do you think that would be enough?

bacon5

AC Members
Dec 24, 2009
So I took some pics yesterday after two weeks to add pics of the new additions (AR Mini , Bucephalandra, Purple Bamboo, and Anubias Nana 'Petite') and I think I can already see growth changes especially in the Monte Carlo and Lindernia Rotundifolia, but not so much in the other plants. Here are the pics:

Monte Carlo:

Eleocharis Belem:

UG:

Ludwigia Atlantis and HC:

Lindernia Rotundifolia and Bucephalandra and Crypt

AR Mini:

Hydroctyle Sp., Naesea Triflora, AR Mini:

Purple Bamboo from Lawrence So, thanks Lawrence!!!

Also a couple weeks ago my dad found and saved a salamander in the pool. I decided to put it in my emersed set up to takes some pictures while he happily swum around and wonder in the pots. Before I released it (away from the pool area) I ate dinner. When I came back I found out why this is called an Arboreal Salamander, it had climbed up the glass to the top of the aquarium! A few minutes later I put him back out. Here are some pics!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store