Baffled Scientists Say Less Sunlight Reaching Earth

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Link: http://www.livescience.com/forcesofnature/060124_earth_albedo.html

Just last week I watched a nice sunset. Too bad I didn't have the camera. It was one of those incredible sunsets with all the reds and orange tints in the "clouds"... it really was worthy of a few photos.

In a minute or two, I realized those were not natural clouds, but every one of the wind-blown "cloud-like" formations were jet contrails. I was hard to believe I was watching a photo worthy, man-made sunset.

I have heard time and time again that jet contrails dissipate. Well, it seems lots of times they don't just dissipate.

Last edited:

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
contrails and cloud cover

I had read of a study a while back investigating the duration of contrails. They sent a jet up on a day favorable to making contrails and had it fly in a figure 8 to make an easy to track trail. Then they tracked it by satellite. They found that the contrail acted as a seed to form cloud cover. They suggested that the cloudy winter time weather in the north east may be due to jet contrails, as this could cover is worse in high air traffic areas.

Makes me wonder if "global warming" isn't perhaps just a greenhouse effect due to contrail induced cloud cover. (I also wonder if the "hole in the Ozone layer" has something to do with jet exhaust also.)

Guess I ought to read the linked article, in case I am way off topic.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
anonapersona said:

Guess I ought to read the linked article, in case I am way off topic.
It seems like you have answers. :thm:

And they make sense...

ceatwood

New Dad! Picture overload ahead!
Jan 17, 2006
Shakopee, Minnesota
After planes were grounded for a couple of days after 9/11, U.S. climatologists noted that the high temps for the day went up about one degree, and the lows went down by one degree, indicating that the contrail/seeding action was not only reflecting more sunlight back into space but also holding more between the earth and upper atmosphere. They are now waiting for another multi-day grounding of planes to see if the same thing happens again, let's just hope the next is a voluntary shut-down.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Again, today after a cold front (well, actually a Florida "cool front"), it's expected to be cloudless, and it wasn't. The contrails were all over the sky.

_______

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store