Bala shark red tail fin

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bokyumkim

Registered Member
Jul 8, 2021
Hi,

I'm new to the hobby. The top fin was ripped while I was moving the fish from one tank to another. About a week ago, the fish developed a red streaks on his tail fin. Any recommendations on how to take care of my bala?

20210704_200644.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: Warrior-Lady

Warrior-Lady

AC Members
Jul 3, 2021
UK
Hi B bokyumkim this looks like it's leading to secondary infection with the red developing and because the top fin as been ripped through accident, it leads to fin rot.

There's a couple of options you can take to try and help the fin re-heal itself. API stress coat, methylene blue or one litre jug with 1 heaped teaspoon of sea salt or of tonic salt

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I would say if lots of big water changes haven't helped (clean water can do wonders!) it's probably time for an antibiotic. Red streaks say bacterial infection to me.

If you're in the US you have a few choices. I'm not sure which I'd go with, maybe like Maracyn 1 & 2 at the same time. If you not in the US your options are very few in lots of places...Where, in general, do you live?

Reactions: Warrior-Lady
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store