Ballast buzzing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
I'm getting closer and closer to getting this corner 44 gallon up and running. I promise I will post some pictures soon.

The things has been sitting there empty for at least 5 years at the this point. It's now clean and full of water. decided to plug the lights in and give them a try. The lid to the tank takes two 24" strip lights (18" bulbs). I plugged them in today and turned them on, and buzzing was insanely loud. They have never buzzed this loud. I managed to get one to quiet down a bit when it pulled it off the lid and put it back down.

I think the ballasts are loose inside the hood and are vibrating against something. I was going to crack one open and have a look, but I am sure that these strips use standard magnetic ballasts that always buzz at least a little.

I'm wondering if I can upgrade the ballast to an electromagnetic starterless ballast that would be a lot quieter.

Until I can do that, what's the best way to secure the ballast in place? Can I use some adhesive Velcro squares, or is there a fire hazard if I do that? I might be able to hot glue them in place, but I don't know if ballasts get hot enough to melt hot glue.

Any advice on how to secure them and cushion them from vibration would be helpful.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Or maybe try some new lamps in this fixture. This sounds like a really old fluorescent fixture if it's got starters and a magnetic ballast. Granted... That's the stuff that lasts FOREVER. Today's new electronic ballasts are mostly junk in comparison. They're quiet though. No noise at all.

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
Try LED, prices are dropping, and you will spend less on your electric bill

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store