Balloon belly/dwarf platy mating?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dewilde2

Illinifish
Aug 8, 2006
St Louis
Well, I've tried everything to try to decrease aggression between my two balloon belly molly males, and my last option is to go get some more to hopefully spread out the aggression. I thought about seeing if my LFS would take back the males and just getting a bunch of females, especially since I am raising a single female molly fry that I dare not put in the tank in its current state. My question is- if I were to get females instead, would the male dwarf platies try to breed with them? I have three of these, and they're very happy and nice and want to keep them. I know they're all livebearers, but I thought it might be possible that the platies would leave the mollies alone, since they are like 1/5 of the size, but I didn't know. I really don't want babies of any kind. Suggestions? Thanks!

Red Tailed Wonder

AC Members
Feb 21, 2005
Hi,

They definately will breed, but it doesn't matter anyway as most live bearers are practically born pregnant and the females can store sperm for over 6 months.

Flag

dabaers

AC Members
Aug 27, 2006
usually it is this that can cross

: molly/guppy

: sword/platy

:endler/guppy

although sword/platy crosses and guppy/endler crosses are the only ones you ever seem to see.
So no they can't. They are from different familys.Mollies – Poecilia Latipinna
,Platies - Xiphophorus maculatus.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store