Balloon Molly X Guppy Crossbreed

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DanDarom

Registered Member
May 14, 2020
Hey, I heard about somr people who managed crossbreed balloon mollies and guppies. Just wanted tp ask if it is possible, and if so, can a male balloon molly and female guppy have children.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Yes its possible, but not common. Most fry dont survive apparently or dont live too long.
Balloon mollies in particular have rather unhealthy lives as well, so crossing them into making hybrids is rough...

And regular mollies can cross with guppies too, but again is not common and usually results arent so good.

If you provide enough males and females of their own kind, they will usually prefer to keep to their own.

DanDarom

Registered Member
May 14, 2020
I heard about that they stick with their own species, but if I put inside my aquqrium one male balloon molly and one female guppy, will I get fry? What do you mean when you say "rough"? Do they need special conditions in order to crossbreed?
Yes its possible, but not common. Most fry dont survive apparently or dont live too long.
Balloon mollies in particular have rather unhealthy lives as well, so crossing them into making hybrids is rough...

And regular mollies can cross with guppies too, but again is not common and usually results arent so good.

If you provide enough males and females of their own kind, they will usually prefer to keep to their own.

CichlidFins

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Real Name
Jay
I heard about that they stick with their own species, but if I put inside my aquqrium one male balloon molly and one female guppy, will I get fry? What do you mean when you say "rough"? Do they need special conditions in order to crossbreed?
Mollies are much bigger than guppies, so first thing i would consider is that the molly could potentially harrass the female to death. And if a cross did occur,
  1. The fry would most likely be sterile.
  2. The fry would be weak.

Reactions: Amazoniantanklvr

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
The fry would have high death rates and very prone to illness if they do survive to adulthood

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
It's still debated if muppies even exist or not.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)

Theres an old post about them on here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com