Bamboo in a tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thewarning

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
I wanted to use bamboo in my tank. I read in time bamboo will start to rot, so you should treat it with polyurethane varnish before putting it in the tank. Anybody use bamboo before? Is there a certain polyurethane I should use?

Stargazer53

AC Members
Oct 4, 2006
Definitely no varnish. Is the bamboo piece something that is not replaceable? Bamboo is so readily available in my neck of the woods that if I were to use it and it did rot, it would take just minutes to replace. :)

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
i think the op is talking dry bamboo

but so far as live bamboo I have some in my tank no issues

gagaliya

GNOME POWER!
Nov 20, 2005
NJ
www.happyreward.com
forget the fake/sealed crap.

1) open top tank with hanged lights
2) lucky bamboos (make a forest, chinese kungfu movie style) with leaves above water
3) deep (5inches) substrate for the massive roots bamboos will eventually grow

and you have a very low light low maintenance tank with live plants, can also throw in some anubias nana for added effect

schaadrak

Lo-Tech Advocate
Sep 3, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Yes, you can use a polyurethane based varnish to seal bamboo (or any wood) without any problems. Just make sure that you let it cure fully, that it doesn't contain any mold or mildew inhibitors, and that it is clear not tinted before you put it into the tank. Polyurethane is completely inert and harmless when fully cured. It's what some types of filter media are made of like sponges and floss.

When varnishing the bamboo you might need to remove the skin on the exposed inside parts or the varnish might not stick to it. Avery light sanding wouldn't hurt on the outside either. Urethane uses water to polymerize, so dampen the bamboo slightly with a cloth before applying it to help it bond easier.

Hope this helps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store