Bamboo Shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

geoffgarcia

AC Members
Apr 22, 2004
Snake Eyez said:
I looked at these shrimp in the past since they are very cool looking and active. But the whole feeding aspect was worrisome since various people have problems with starvation.
mine seems to be donig fine, rather than fan feeding (which it did for 1-2 days when I first got it) it just rubs its fans up and down on the algae on gravel/plants and then puts the fans in its mouth...

Oddball~

Brackhead
Nov 18, 2004
Dallas, TX
stephen728 said:
Hi, I recently saw an ad in the local paper advertising bamboo shrimp for freshwater tanks. I have a 10 gallon aquarium with four fantail guppies (three babies, one adult) two marble mollies, one albino corydora, and one algae eating bottom feeder.
My questions about the shrimp are how big do they get, what is best to feed them and are they compatable with my tank?
Thanks for any of your help.
Stephen

doesn't anyone think this is a bit much for only a 10 gallon??? Then again, im more used to the idea of 2-3 inches per 5 gallons...

Veneer

AC Members
Dec 20, 2004
There is no evidence to even suggest that aqueous iodine is even bio-available to shrimp (freshwater or otherwise); I have never dosed iodine and have experienced no problems whatsoever with my shrimp.

QCppg

Carp for brains!
May 4, 2004
Visit site
I have three wood shrimp in a 10 gallon shrimp-only planted tank and IMO they are one of the most interesting shrimps of all, SW included. Mine pick bits of food out from the substrate and off of the plants and decorations (two pieces of artificial driftwood, added because it provides hiding places). So far I haven't tried adding Micro Vert because it seemed unnessary (though they do put their "fans" out in front of the UGF outlets occasionally).

soojeong

AC Members
Dec 10, 2005
hi, i have one of them right now(male) and it's perfectly happy- but you gotta keep
the water about 73-87 degrees since it's a tropical species. and if it's full grown,
pay close attention to its first pair of walking legs- if they're normal, it's a female, and if it's kind of plump(maybe even fat) it's a male. and if it's happy, it should start to turn reddish, starting from the center of fans, end of its 'feelers' and/or develop whitish line down its back(starting from the tip of the mouth). most shrimp live about 1-2 years, but this one lives up to 5 years. DON'T put it with cichlids, even small ones.
observe closely, and if any of the fish is bothering it, put it in a separate tank. oh, also, it might seem like it's living contently for a few weeks with a colony of fish, but in most cases, it might be STARVING TO DEATH. in my case, i've got algae eater and 3 goldfish- and they're living in harmony.
the first time mr.shrimpy molted, i thought he turned transparent, although it's a stupid conclusion. i've discovered, in some cases, Mr.shrimpy eats the fish's POOP. ha.. ha...
p.s. if the tank is too big, it might be hard to find the shrimp.

Last edited:

graphicdesign_r

Tact is for the weak.
Oct 31, 2005
In your nightmares.
There is a heavy bioload in that tank (10G?) with the shrimp... You also mention a "bottom feeder". The fish should outcompete it for food, so there will definitely not be enough microfauna and algae in a 10 gallon tank to support this animal. In larger tanks with larger fish there is usually enough algae and waste to promote growth of the plankton and other food sources this animal needs (you would see this shrimp in the current around the filter, etc.). You are going to have to go to great pains to feed it and have it survive in a tank that small. If it starts starving it will go after guppy and molly fry as well if any are present.

I'm fairly sure the above poster has an overstocked tank (3 goldfish requires a lot of filtration & space), and if you're shrimp is eating mostly fish poop it's already starving, these shrimp should be eating algae and microorganisms.

Last edited:

soojeong

AC Members
Dec 10, 2005
graphicdesign_r said:
I'm fairly sure the above poster has an overstocked tank (3 goldfish requires a lot of filtration & space), and if you're shrimp is eating mostly fish poop it's already starving, these shrimp should be eating algae and microorganisms.
excuse me, but if you read CAREFULLY, you might find it does not say MOSTLY, but sometimes. and besides, mr.shrimpy has molted several times, and after molting it has a high level of dying, and if mr. shrimpy was starving, he would be dead by now, no? and my goldfish are just babies- they're only 3 inches. if they get big, i plan to move them into the pond.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store