Bamboo

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

drew81

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
Is bamboo fully aquatic?. I was sold some at a Petco and have had it my aquarium for about 5 months. No signs of dieing at all and excellent growht up out of my aquarium now.

Just wondering if its even aquatic and should be in an aquarium?...thanks

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
Lucky bamboos? No, not aquatic plants. They shouldn't be in a aquarium, they will eventually rot up. Unless you have the leafs outside, it might be okay

StereoKills

Hey intern, get me a Campari.
Sep 10, 2007
Ithaca, NY
Bamboo is not a true aquatic plant. The stalk can be in the water, but the top and leaves need to be out of the water in order for it to live.

skesterson

The Full Trucker Effect
Oct 7, 2007
Tennessee
I have had my bamboo in for about 3 months and it is almost about to break the top of the water. Seems to be fine fully submerged.

satanpie

Banana plant addict.
Aug 25, 2007
Long Island NY
www.myspace.com
Ive had a piece in my tank for almost a year fully submerged, not doing great but not dying, I had a friend though who had several pieces fully submerged that were growing roots and leaves, the roots came right out of the side and looked really cool draping down, he did all this with a 25 watt light, the tank was also horribly overstocked and he never did water changes, but his live bearers were doing great and shrimps were bright red. We think its because he was a Buddhist!!

Spewn

AC Members
Mar 12, 2008
If you bought it from a "normal" store, and it was labeled "lucky bamboo", you bought a plant from the same family as the corn plant which has been stripped of its leaves(most/all of them).

Will it survive fully submerged? Sure. They aren't exactly spectacular growers though, IMO you'd be better off with something fake.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I am not aware of any 'aquatic' bamboo.
Bamboo is really a 'grass'. there are some like lucky bamboo that may appear to survive in a aquarium..but if the 'grass' leaves do not break the surface the plant will eventually die.
some species of bamboo will survive in a 'Bog' = very wet soil ..lucky bamboo seems to do well with the roots submerged and the stalk above water.

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
The 'lucky bamboo' is not a bamboo at all, as was mentioned above; it is a member of the genus Dracaena, which includes several popular houseplants.

It is my understanding that this is a floodplain species which can survive submersion, but does not grow well underwater. It does well with the roots in moist soil or in water and the stems in air.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store