banjo cats

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

davcheng

AC Members
Jul 31, 2007
Has anyone ever kept banjo catfish? I saw them at my LFS today and was looking up info on them, but just wanted to know if people have had any experience with them. They look odd and I want them!

Btw, does anyone know if they have to be kept in groups? And what exactly to feed them? Thanks!

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
They're strictly nocturnal, can be kept singly or in groups. They'll eat whatever they find (flakes are fine), but you may need to feed them after turning off the lights so they get some food. Not very active, they mainly stay buried in the sand or under cover if the substrate is gravel.

RoseFishWatcher

AC Members
Oct 31, 2006
Colorado
I have 4! They're quite inactive, but swarm for food. I think it's adorable, but may not be for everyone. They hide in the sand the rest of the time. They only come out in the "dark", but it doesn't have to be pitch black. I feed them with the room lights on and they have no problem with it.

davcheng

AC Members
Jul 31, 2007
Yeah I got two, and I see them come out at night. I throw in a Hikari Sinking Wafer broken up into two pieces, but they don't seem to eat it. It is my first night with them so I'm not sure if they're just acclimating to their new surroundings?

jflng

unRegistered abUser
Apr 23, 2007
-
I've had one for a couple months. I rarely even see him, and never once saw him eat. I almost crushed him a few times with a gravel vac, so be careful when you're doing tank maintenance.
Even though he's not out for display or very sociable, it's is a good fish to have.

davcheng

AC Members
Jul 31, 2007
so i think my banjo cats are growing algae on their heads from having only their heads exposed and lying still... unless the top parts of their heads are supposed to be green?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store